OO bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

This blank has beeh haunting me since December. It was from a tree felled in Dec 06 and I cut blanks from it in Dec 07. The blanks came from the bottom of the trunk where the bugs had not gotten to yet. Cutting the bowl blanks on my bandsaw also yielded several nice pen blanks from the waste. Comments welcome. What say ye, Frank?

20084601315_OO%20bowl%20I.jpg

20084601339_OO%20bowl%20II.jpg

2008460145_OO%20bowl%20III.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Nice work Don. The inclusions give the bowl so much character. I like the upper band and the shape of the bowl, very functional. What finish did you use?

Don,
Nice piece of Bodark... love the shape and inclusions... how big is the bowl.. you dind't say..
OO is a nice wood to work with if you can keep it from cracking...

My stepfather, before he died, had a Bodark tree in his cow lot that had to have been 30" or more in diameter at my waist... the root base was even bigger... I cut a couple of low hanging branches that were nearly 6" diameter and have slowly been using it up... only have a couple of feet left... nothing big enough for a bowl though..

its_virgil

Thanks for all of the comments. The blank was not totally dry. I would guess about 40% or lower. I've had it in the shop microwave and have been zapping it several times each day (when I think about it) for about 2 minutes each. I've been zapping it since Jan. After cutting the blank I coated it with anchorseal. I hope it doesn't crack.

Thanks Frank. I do know that it will eventually turn brown. I wish it wouldn't, but that's what it does. It is really nice and yellow not. I love turning OO but I have some totally dry blanks that are very very hard to turn. The green or partiall green turns much better.

The bowl is 9.5 inched in diameter and about 3.25 inches tall. That's about as big as I can get on my Jet mini.

I really think this may be the one of the best bowls I've ever turned. The shape came out nice as several have mentioned. I didn't like the bark inclusion at first but it became more part of the bowl as I turned the shape more to what I had planned for the blank.

The finish is Mylands High Build Friction Polish after sanding to 1000.

Thanks again for all of the comments. I do appreciate what other IAP members have to say.

So a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom