Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I just heard that my family had a sixty year old Italian olive tree cut down on the property this week. :( I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it's all in pretty big pieces. I love olive wood and will be going up there this weekend to see it, and grab what I want. Any tips from anyone? Dario? BigRob? Should I seal the ends soon or are the oily woods ok? They had a guy that was willing to take it for firewood. I'm glad they called me first!

If it looks good and there is enough I'll offer it here on IAP for the cost of the shipping. I'd like to get some pen blanks and a peppergrinder out of it at least, I'm sure I can find that from an entire tree!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

That's quite the stash. The ends should be sealed. All of the olive with which I have worked is prone to checking when green. I'd certainly be interested in some.

Dario

While olivewood is oily it is prone to checking when left as a whole log. Seal all ends.

If you can, cut them atleast to half along the pith also...or better yet, remove the pith by cutting 2 parallel cuts. The center where the pit is can be thinner than the 2 outer pieces. if you cut it thick enough, the center with the pith can still be used for pen blanks [;)]

If you are sharing it, I am interested [;)]

Johnathan

lol, OK, OK, I get it. Everyone wants some. Again, I'll go up and see what it looks like Saturday. After I get what I want, I'll contact those in order of the posts to see if and how much you want. I'm not going to be able to do a whole lot of cuting, I just don't have the time. If it looks good, I'll cut pieces to fit the big flat rate box. I also will not say no if people want to send me a blank or two as thanks for my time. [:D][:D]

I'll post again when I've seen the wood.

OSCAR15

Jonathan....I'd be intersted also....Sounds like quite a find for you.....I never get that lucky....Only free wood I see is palattes and packing crates.....

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Should I have posted here..I sent you an email first day you started thread [:)][:I]

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />lol, OK, OK, I get it. Everyone wants some. Again, I'll go up and see what it looks like Saturday. After I get what I want, I'll contact those in order of the posts to see if and how much you want. I'm not going to be able to do a whole lot of cuting, I just don't have the time. If it looks good, I'll cut pieces to fit the big flat rate box. I also will not say no if people want to send me a blank or two as thanks for my time. [:D][:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by penhead
<br />Should I have posted here..I sent you an email first day you started thread [:)][:I]

<br />lol, OK, OK, I get it. Everyone wants some. Again, I'll go up and see what it looks like Saturday. After I get what I want, I'll contact those in order of the posts to see if and how much you want. I'm not going to be able to do a whole lot of cuting, I just don't have the time. If it looks good, I'll cut pieces to fit the big flat rate box. I also will not say no if people want to send me a blank or two as thanks for my time. [:D][:D]

Hey, are you throwing your moderator weight around!?!? [:D][:D][:D]

RogerGarrett

If it isn't too much trouble - after you have taken care of the regular guys - I would love to have a couple of boards of this stuff. I am thinking about a few pens - but more than that, a few small cases made from it....

Let me know.

Best,
Roger Garrett[:D]

JimGo

Johnathan,
No need to mill for blanks for me; I'm happy to do the cuttin' myself. I also appreciate anything you're willing to share. If you don't think you'll have enough for everyone, feel free to put me at the bottom of the list.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Well, if it puts me at the beginning of the line...[}:)][}:)]

Nah, just kidding...actually he hasn't responded to my email so I was just making sure he had received it...and that I was at least in line somewhere [:)]

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by penhead
<br />Should I have posted here..I sent you an email first day you started thread [:)][:I]

Hey, are you throwing your moderator weight around!?!? [:D][:D][:D]

alamocdc

Johnathan, I might as well join the band wagon for a chunk that fits in a large flat rate box. Thanks! And I'll send a little thank you back your way per your request.[;)]

BigRob777

Johnathan,
I would love to do a trade, or purchase, but my shop is full and my house is filling up fast. Do you have a way to mill it? There are usually businesses that specialize in mobile milling. I'm hiring one to cut up some big walnut logs. I'm building furniture with it and curly maple. Anyway, I wish I lived closer.

By all means, listen to Dario. He knows a lot more about it than I do. If you get it cut into chunks, I would love to have some. You know what I have for trade, or I can do a purchase, or a credit.

Let me know Bud. Keep on singin'. BTW, I will be going out to California every few years, on my way to Hawaii. I hope to go next year. Where is Vacaville, in relation to LA?
Rob

[:D]

Johnathan

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Johnathan,
I would love to do a trade, or purchase, but my shop is full and my house is filling up fast. Do you have a way to mill it? There are usually businesses that specialize in mobile milling. I'm hiring one to cut up some big walnut logs. I'm building furniture with it and curly maple. Anyway, I wish I lived closer.

By all means, listen to Dario. He knows a lot more about it than I do. If you get it cut into chunks, I would love to have some. You know what I have for trade, or I can do a purchase, or a credit.

Let me know Bud. Keep on singin'. BTW, I will be going out to California every few years, on my way to Hawaii. I hope to go next year. Where is Vacaville, in relation to LA?
Rob

[:D]

Rob, I'll see what I can do. Vacaville is up North. half way between San Fran and Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom