Olive Wood Abstract Inlay Bolo Ties; cutting board begets neck wear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

My wonderfully observant wife noted that one of the little cutting boards was missing. I explained that it went forth and multiplied - upcycled - and begot some blingful offspring. I make no special claims about these, but they may help ward off evil.

Steps:
Make paint from mica powder + Golden brand GAC 100 acrylic polymer.
Paint the abstracts with tiny brushes inside a stainless steel bezel under high magnification, onlay some dichroic film, then dome with Art Resin brand epoxy - let cure for a week under a plastic cup (to keep out dust).
Make a kite shaped template and cut out the shapes with a scroll saw - sand the edges.
Lathe-mount the shape on a waste block with double stick carpet tape, then drill with a Forstner bit - some were a bit off center, but some of my dearest friends are a bit off center these days.
Epoxy the bezeled abstract in place, epoxy the slide to the back, add the braided leather cord and copper tips; wear and ward off evil.

Steps:
OliveWoodAbstractInlayBoloTiesMarkison2020,steps,sm.jpg

Some close ups:
OliveWoodAbsractInlayBoloTiesMarkisonCUs2020,sm.jpg

Warm regards to all - stay safe, upcycle at every turn, and have fun - Bob

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Cool !!! . Your ingenuity is amazing, Bob !!

I am curious about the "twisted copper" ends ? . Can you buy those ? . Or did you make them ?

Bob in SF

Thanks for the kind comments!

Mark - here is my favorite source for bolo tie findings - slides, cords, tips, etc - I got the tips (etc) here:

Rocky Mountain Western

Best regards - Bob

eharri446

When things settle back down, take her to Marshall's and get both of you some more cutting boards. If you look around they have some olive wood cutting boards with beautiful grain patterns which make lovely pens or other things.

Top Bottom