Old Wood....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vakmere

vakmere

Not me........ the pen I made from an 88 year old ladder, may be older, found in a 4th floor loft in the Perelman building in Philly minus the pigeon droppings. I attached a link for any history buffs interested in reading about the building. The area was being cleared of roosting birds about 2 months ago and the ladder was against a wall where the pigeons used it for, well you know. The ladder was up there since the building was finished in late 1927. It was originally the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company Building. I cut the ladder up, put the wood in trash bags and took it home. Of course, with gloves and mask I cleaned it up, cut it into blanks and turned this piece. The cat is keeping the birds away just in case they return.....

Pictures of one of the sections show a side view of the rungs and a metal plate we couldn't figure out why it was nailed to the side. This was not a folding type ladder, it was about 6 feet long.

The pen is not finished with anything. It's bare but sanded to 12000 grit. I wanted it natural. In fact I can smell the wood unfinished. Maybe I'll do that with a piece of cedar. Anyway, copper hardware is on it being there was copper used for some sections of roof on that building. I gave the lower end elevation so the grain layers are prominent and added a little spindle cut for effect. The species of wood is not known so whatever they used for ladder wood back in the day.?
My new desk pen. Some fun eh? :cool:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwielYPolPPIAhWByj4KHdhABHc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philamuseum.org%2Finformation%2F45-289-100.html&usg=AFQjCNGJjM2eIcELNl62-mZIySmEpo759Q&sig2=1791AmU-4j6h5RKhfxSG5g

Attachments

• 2015-07-23_17-27-37_504.jpg
    2015-07-23_17-27-37_504.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Perelman ladder wood (2).jpg
    Perelman ladder wood (2).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Perelman ladder wood (3).jpg
    Perelman ladder wood (3).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Perelman ladder wood (4).jpg
    Perelman ladder wood (4).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Perelman ladder wood (1).jpg
    Perelman ladder wood (1).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Most likely old-growth southern pine. It was used in a lot of structural and furnishing uses back then because it was easy to find, cut down, and work. It wasn't super-pretty to look at, so it was typically stained a opaque color or painted. Watch out for lead based paint!

TurtleTom

I once rented a three story house built by a man who only used oak. The 2x4 was 2"x4".
He told me the only thing pine was good for was stoking boilers.
I don't think I'd go quite that far.

Charlie_W

Great job repurposing this find into the 21st century!

Although your pics don't show the side grain clearly, I am thinking Fir. It has a tight grain and when cut and positioned on edge, has strength without the weight of other hardwoods.
When I was in shop class in high school, we had some fir from gym bleacher boards and cut it up for some projects. It was all edge grain on the face of the boards.

Top Bottom