Old pen turner looking to start up again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I started turning pens about 18-20 years ago. Life got in the way and other interests took over but now I'm retired and want to get started again. I still have most of my tools, supplies, along with many kits and blanks still sitting in boxes around the shop. I did however sell my small lathe. It used a MT#1 mandrel. I now have a different lathe with a MT#2. My question is...do I get an adapter for my old MT#1 mandrel to fit the new lathe or buy a new MT#2 mandrel?

EDIT....going through a box of old supplies I found a new live and dead center I purchased years ago that I never used. I'll try that method first to see how I like it. Do regular bushings work for this, or do I have to use tapered bushings?

EDIT AGAIN.....I just learned about bushing adapters. Sounds like that is what I need. I didnt see any way to delete my post so I just edited it.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome back Tom. LOTS of new pens and pen names. Your live center and dead center sounds like you were considering Turning Between Centers. I still do that more than use a mandrel. You can use a regular bushings on TBC if you like. One thing is use a good set of calipers for measuring than using the bushings for sizing. bushings tend to decrease in size after 20 or 30 pens because of sandpaper or the chisel hitting the edge.

MT1 adapter to MT 2. Seems like I remember someone doing this, but it I do not remember the specifics of where to find the adapter. In general it is better off getting an MT 2 mandrel.

howsitwork

you can buy adaptor,sleeves to do this but suggest you use loctite to glue the 2Mt sleeve to the 1Mt arbor

Welcome back to the bottomless pit or pen turning. You'll soon realize how much you missed it. I imagine a lot have changed in 20 years since you last turned.

Honesty, I would say just get a MT2 mandrel or consider Turn Between Centers bushing. TBC doesn't require a mandrel, only a lice and dead center to hike the blank in place. If TBC doesn't have the style of bushing you need they will make it.

Top Bottom