Old gouge or chisel identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

I have an old tool I got from my great grandmothers tool shed. Several cool things in there. This is the only one I haven't identified. It was pretty rusted and I soaked it in Evaporust for a while. Evaporust removes rust and leaves a finish similar to the bluing on a gun. The handle looks like oak and the ferrule is brass. It has what appears to be a name, possibly "BUTCHxxx with "CAST STEEL" underneath on the tang on one side and a couple symbols on the other. I sharpened it and it took a nice edge. The tang is still tight in the handle, but the ferrule is loose. I used it very briefly and it cut well.
I am curious where it was made and the approximate time frame. I have had it about 25 years. My grandmother died in 1999 and was 107 years old. I suspect the tool belonged to one of her brothers in law who was an engineer on the AT&SF railroad.
Please see pics.

Thanks,
20230411_125153.jpg
20230411_125054.jpg

Mike
20230411_125039.jpg
20230411_125018.jpg
20230411_125246.jpg

Mortalis

W. Butcher Wood cutting tools
Carving tools. I dont think they were intended as turning tools.
I have included a link but if the link is not to this forum's policies to link to another forum then there is a discussion on the The Garage Journal forums about William Butcher.
Admin, please remove link if not to the forum's policies.

Last edited:

duncsuss

I love seeing and learning about vintage tools, especially from Sheffield (where my sister and niece live). Interesting snippets from the article @Mortalis linked to ...

William and Samuel became partners in 1819 ... By 1822 they were melting their own crucible steel and producing a variety of edge tools.

If the tangs don't state 'England' then they were made prior to 1895 as export laws changed that year and the country of origin had to be stated.

So those are the end-stops on the date of your gouge - you might be able to narrow it down further using the stamped marks and more research.

Nice find!

Mike

Wow, this is really cool. Thanks so much for your replies. With this info, I will do more research.
I thought it might be a carving tool and not a turning tool.

Thanks again,
Mike

Top Bottom