Old Glory Honor Flight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I had applied to be a Guardian for an Old Glory Honor Flight. Early last year I was finally selected but unfortunately the organizers had to cancel the flight due to Covid. A month ago I was notified that they were resuming the flights and was asked if I still wanted to be a Guardian. I couldn't respond yes quick enough. Our flight left yesterday with 99 Veterans from Korea and Vietnam, 80 Guardians and about 10 members of the Old Glory Board. What a once in a lifetime trip. Despite forecast for rain all day not a drop fell. The Veterans were treated to some of the museums and memorials in the area. But more importantly they were able to meet and form new friendships with fellow Vet's. But the most soul touching memories I will never forget were how all the people treated us. Everywhere someone was there waving flags, banners and signs, congratulating all the Vets. But the best was when we returned home. The local media had put the word out about our flight and what time we returned. There was easily over a thousand people crammed into our airport to show support for our veterans. All of us left with warm hearts and tears in our eyes. Things haven't been that good lately due to civil unrest, racial unrest, political unrest and Covid. But last night I was never prouder to be an American and a Vet and not necessarily in that order.

Seven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

I was on the Honor Flight in Sept of 2019. I was humbled by the support we were shown along the route both in Colorado and Washington. It was a trip forever in my memory, the guardians were outstanding and I want to thank you for doing this service.

AmyR

I must say that I've been a member if this site for a while and appreciate the advice and guidance I have gleaned from it. So what makes my pop my voyeur head up now and actually post something? ….

I belong to a community band here in the DC area and over the years I've greeted well over 20 arriving Honor Flights. All very emotional… In the beginning they were all WWII vets, then Korean War and Viet Nam. They've just resumed scheduling again for us and I'm very much looking forward to the October Flight … All-women Veterans Operation HerStory Flight. 😊

… Amy

Korean vets served in a brutal climate in a forgotten war and I appreciate them serving us. Those who served in Vietnam are especially overdue for the respect they deserved fighting for our nation. I'm glad to hear your trip went well and was meaningful.

Top Bottom