OCD Kit Storage Solutions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bigcountry7

bigcountry7

I'll own it, I'm OCD. I've been a cave diver for 8 years and it helps to triple check everything twice. So when I go to my shop, it's my happy place and I like things organized.

I keep a storage cabinet for holding these HDX bins, so I dedicated two to my pen turning stuff...
20210115_184536.jpg

They arent big enough to hold my larger kits, so I got two husky bins to hold the different kits with the bushings on top. He's my 3/8" box.
20230108_202035.jpg
20230108_202120.jpg

The 7mm kits took up a lot of room, so I broke down the kits into components. Each plastic bag holds one kit minus the tubes, refill, and mechanism.
20230108_202133.jpg

What are your ocd storage solutions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I think I'm between you and Don. I somewhat try to organize things but it just ends up being piles. I've noticed that it's getting harder to remember what pile I designed an item to but that's another story. I think I could use the guy in the picture to help out with the putting things back where they belong when I'm done with them. Do you ever loan him out?

bigcountry7

I think I'm between you and Don. I somewhat try to organize things but it just ends up being piles. I've noticed that it's getting harder to remember what pile I designed an item to but that's another story. I think I could use the guy in the picture to help out with the putting things back where they belong when I'm done with them. Do you ever loan him out?
If you saw his room, you wouldn't want him!

He does make a good router table though...
20210122_200331.jpg

egnald

Hi Tom - I've got it too, I think it must be an engineering thing. I have a 3-ring binder that I have color coded to different pen styles filled with page protectors containing instruction sheets and my notes. (Click on thumbnails for larger pictures).
IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG

I store my kits in little plastic shelf units with 4.5 by 5.5 inch drawers. I label the drawer with the pen style and plating material. The drawers are also color coded according to the scheme used in my binder. All of the surplus kits are put in small plastic tote boxes which are stored above the drawer units and above my sanding workbench.
IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2094.JPG

I store my bushings in little plastic jars which are in turn stored in a small plastic box with12 jars per box next to my kits. I almost always have a loose, working set of bushings in each jar along with a new, pristine set still in the little bag they came in. The color coding scheme is followed through on the bushing jars.
IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2093 Cropped.jpg

I store my plastic blanks on a shelf under the kits. Wood blanks are stored in 5x8 plastic bags that I label and hang under a shelf for easy access. The surplus blanks are stored in totes which are stacked on the shelf above along with some surplus supplies.
IMG_2091 Cropped.jpg IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

I store my pen sized specific drill bits in small plastic tubes that I got from PSI. I label all 4 sides of the tube with the drill type and size and then store them together in a larger plastic box. On the cover I use a coding scheme for the drill size and type.
IMG_2359 Cropped.jpg IMG_2358 Cropped.jpg

This must certainly confirm my level of OCD (Kaizen / LEAN Manufacturing). Unfortunately my router table inserts have all grown up and have moved away from home. Cherish every minute! - Dave

MPVic

Hi Tom - I've got it too, I think it must be an engineering thing. I have a 3-ring binder that I have color coded to different pen styles filled with page protectors containing instruction sheets and my notes. (Click on thumbnails for larger pictures).
View attachment 346578 View attachment 346579

I store my kits in little plastic shelf units with 4.5 by 5.5 inch drawers. I label the drawer with the pen style and plating material. The drawers are also color coded according to the scheme used in my binder. All of the surplus kits are put in small plastic tote boxes which are stored above the drawer units and above my sanding workbench.
View attachment 346580 View attachment 346581

I store my bushings in little plastic jars which are in turn stored in a small plastic box with12 jars per box next to my kits. I almost always have a loose, working set of bushings in each jar along with a new, pristine set still in the little bag they came in. The color coding scheme is followed through on the bushing jars.
View attachment 346584 View attachment 346583 View attachment 346582

I store my plastic blanks on a shelf under the kits. Wood blanks are stored in 5x8 plastic bags that I label and hang under a shelf for easy access. The surplus blanks are stored in totes which are stacked on the shelf above along with some surplus supplies.
View attachment 346585 View attachment 346586 View attachment 346587

I store my pen sized specific drill bits in small plastic tubes that I got from PSI. I label all 4 sides of the tube with the drill type and size and then store them together in a larger plastic box. On the cover I use a coding scheme for the drill size and type.
View attachment 346589 View attachment 346588

This must certainly confirm my level of OCD (Kaizen / LEAN Manufacturing). Unfortunately my router table inserts have all grown up and have moved away from home. Cherish every minute! - Dave
Hey David, in the most jovial response possible, your level of organization is just plain sick!!! 😂🤣 The truth is I'm just terribly jealous!!! I envy your setup - certainly a good example of better organization than mine! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

InkyMike

Wow….I had considered something like this…but I haven't had the chance to get to that level. My "shop" is a small space in a third garage bay and I need to take a week to clean it out and organize it. For the moment I've been keeping kit parts in leftover lunch meat plastic bins as I can label and stack them. If/when I start doing any kind of volume it will be untenable (and a lot of lunch meat lol)

Michael

Kenny Durrant

We'll I must admit I'm impressed. Both you Tom and David have a great set up. I've seen retail stores not that nice. Thanks for sharing and giving us a little inspiration although I'm pretty sure the bar is way to high for me to try to compete. Ha Ha

bigcountry7

I feel so incredibly vindicated at the moment. Thank you for sharing!

My blank storage solution is still evolving...

Attachments

• 16732871282625411353509775029291.jpg
    16732871282625411353509775029291.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 75

TDahl

Wow. There are some serious organization skills happening here. Excellent photos and details. Thank you all for sharing.

glw20109

I think if I was that organized, I would need an organization system for my organization to find anything. Like others I sometimes look 5 minutes for something I just laid down. That is the point that I stop and get organized

Top Bottom