Nylon blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

I buy nylon/delrin/hdpe and make stickfree bushing, spacers & otherthings...i couldn't see or want to make a pen from it. When turning it comes off in a wirey like plastic mess, I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get a nice surface but I think it would be very time consuming trying to do so.

Hutch9022

Sorry I'm talking about turning nylon round stock just like a wooden or Acrylic blank. Wondering 1.) will it turn 2.) will it polish. I've got a customer that wants a 60 pcs order of stiletto needles for him to resale. I'm looking for ways to reduce his and my costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

They all turn, Delrin Nylon, HDPE or whatever that HD?? alphabet is, sharp chisels, stop and clear the "plastic" strings that you will create. My experience is mostly with Delrin, work it like it is wood, but I prefer to wet sand using cheap auto transmission fluid from the dollar stores. I sand up to about 800 grit and then buff. You will NOT GET A HIGH POLISH SHINE, more of a matt looking finish. Buffing will improve the look. But buff at a slower speed with not much pressure or it can cause it to sort of melt the stuff. My experience is more with Delrin, not really sure on the others, as it has been a few years since I used any of them.

Nylon and HDPE? I have turned it. Mostly for some special type of tooling, usually I did not finish on it. Of the 2, I liked HDPE, but I think I thought Nylon sucked, but don't remember why.

jttheclockman

what is a nylon pen blank?? Show us some links. We may not be talking he same language. Never seen a nylon blank that I am aware of.

Tony that link comes up unsecure for me I am not clicking on it for sure.

jttheclockman

I have some of that but never thought of using as a pen blank. What I have is way too flexible and soft and not sure CA would stick to it. If you give it a go show us the results.

Top Bottom