NUKE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I nuked walnut once by
wrapping blanks in paper towel and placing in a brown paper grocery bag. I nuked for about 20 seconds (can't remember exactly)taking them out of the microwave and opening the top of the bag to let them cool after every cycle. I ran through about 6 or 7 cycles. They work better if you let them sit a couple days after nuking before you use.

P.S. - the color of the walnut I proccessed this way did not seem as dark as the air dried Walnut I processed. You may want to do a small batch and determine for yourself before doing a bunch.

fuzzydog

Penbros; Mike has given you a good place to start. I would like to expand on that (if anyone feels I have misspoken please set me straight). When you use a microwave to "nuke" there is some other things you need available. Pencil, paper and scale (kithen varity preferably one that will weigh in grams only because its easier to see small changes) and don't get in to big of a hurry or you will split the wood. Now for the process.

Weigh and record the green wood.
Nuke for 20 to 30 seconds
Weigh and record the wood again
Repeat this process until the is no longer a change in weight.

The wood has now reached a dry weight. DO NOT TURN IT AT THIS WEIGHT!!
Let the wood set in your shop and weigh it each day until the weight no longer changes. It has reach a state called EM (Equilibrium moisture) this is a moisture content that you can now work the wood and expect the least amount of movement.
Its the same reason that you allow flat lumber to set a few day in the shop before working it.

I hope this helps and again if anyone wants to correct me, feel invited.
David

loglugger

Fuzzydog that was a good write up, I wait awhile between nukes to let the heat out of the middle of the blank don’t know that it is necessary though.
Bob

dmadis

Here's a link to a page on microwave drying. His method works great, especially for pen blanks.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/microwavedrying.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom