Now for something completely different!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Old stick-n-tissue model, Hawker Typhoon 1B, 17" wingspan.
This is probably about 30 years old. The price sticker reads $4.79
I seem to remember buying this when my kids were little and we never did finish it.
It has moved with me over the many years and I recently re-discovered it while cleaning out the basement.
About 80% of the balsa was already done. I had to do some rebuilding and correcting mistakes that were made.
Also, I didn't like the tissue color so I bough some more so I could do the camo....and of course I also bought another model to put together.
All you woodworkers know that you cannot have too many clamps or too many pencils!
Well, I decided that I can't have too many hobbies either.:D

Attachments

• HT_plane.jpg
    HT_plane.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Oh, I remember those! First rubber powered stick and tissue, then U-control, then to RC. I sure would like to get back to u-control.

Well done!

Dale Allen

I was interested in U-control at one point but never got into it. Seems it did not stay around long with RC gaining popularity.
It was less expensive but rather boring really, and it make you dizzy!o_O

turncrazy43

Dale, really nice job on that plane. I remember those fondly from my long past youth. Thanks for the memories.
Turncrazy43

Kenny Durrant

Dale nice job on the plane! U-control was only boring if you knew how to fly. My stepdad and brother and I started out with the plastic plane ready to fly with actual sting lines. I don't know what kind of plastic it was made of but at the time there wasn't any glue that would hold it together once it broke. That's when we moved up to balsa and built our own. Each of us had 5-6 planes with 3 ready to fly at any given time. We would go to a near by school and fly them until they were all crashed to the point they couldn't get off the ground. Then we would go home and start fixing them up for the next weekend. I suppose if we were to ever master the art it would get boring but we never really did we could just make it last all day before having to quit. We stuck with the u-control because the remote was way out of our price range. That was back in the early 70's.

Reactions: DFR

Bob in SF

Great memories.

My wife and I built and flew slope soaring gliders - nice coastal westerlies for ridge lift up the cliffs - began with balsa and mylar trihedral wings - worked our way up to 2 channel/ailerons flying wings - 40+ years ago - great fun - lost a few in the briny deep - seems like yesterday.

Nowadays the hang glider people are ruling the cliffs, operating their crafts with (hopefully) multi-channel "brain transmitters".

Top Bottom