Nothing ever goes right.......It seems.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplace

I bought a new grizzly variable speed mini lathe, first off the bearings where bad in the tailstock center. Called customer support, they put all new parts in the mail, no questions asked. Two weeks ago, the bearings went out again, OMG![B)] OK, they sent some more.

Now I am happy, why not start my PITH pen.:) I have successfully demolished two new concepts after about 5 hours work on each. Oh well, $h*# happens right.;) OK, I will go with something more traditional. I am finished with the barrels and am finishing with plastic polish and my spindle feels a little gravely, hmmmm. I finish my pen.

This morning I decide to work on another idea I was having, and my lathe starts vibrating halfway through. OK, I knew the bearing was going, so I take the head apart. Yep, friggin bearings are gone out. Seems the chicom's didn't clean the casting sand real good and it is all in the bearing and headstock area.

Since I have the drive belt off, I flipped the motor on and son of a gun, the motor shaft has a wobble in it. Did you guess? Yep, friggin bad bearings in the motor. To late to call customer support, so I will have to wait until Monday.

Now I have my whole lathe tore apart. What a deal at $135 +s&h, for what they have spent on parts and shipping, I think they could have sent me a new lathe. [B)][xx(][B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I considered that lathe when looking for a second one last year.
What I have been wondering is if the motor could be mounted on a JET mini.It would make for a cheap VS conversion to my existing lathe since they go on sale occasionally.
Could you post pics of it when you have it apart?

mrplace

The motor is a 110 volt DC motor. It looks like a small cheap drive inside the panel with a potentiometer above the on switch to adjust the speed. It also says it is a 5000 RPM motor, while grizzly claims 4500 rpm on the spindle.

The face of the motor has 4 bolts that hold the front of the motor together as well as mounting it to a bracket that holds it in place. This bracket is slotted and allows for the tensioning of the drive belt.

I am thinking about making some modifications when I put this back together. I am going to replace the plastic timing pulleys with metal ones, and a real keystock. Plus, I think I am going to buy the bearings myself, and get a better quality sealed bearing.

This is the 110v DC 5000 rpm motor.
20061151425_PB050006.jpg
<br />
This is the drive, switch and potentiometer.
200611514244_PB050008.jpg
<br />
This is the motor mounting/adjustment bracket, looking from the pulley side.
20061151439_PB050009.jpg
<br />
This is the same as above, but from the motor side.
200611514339_PB050012.jpg
<br />
Headstock, from the pulley side. There is a plate to press the bushing in from the back of that.
200611514412_PB050010.jpg
<br />
Motor again.
200611514444_PB050013.jpg
<br />
These are the pulleys. Molded plastic with the key molded as part of the pulley.
20061151452_PB050002.jpg
<br />

mrplace

Bolts are at 2 5/32" and the shaft is 5/16".

I just noticed, for anyone that has a grizzly mini lathe, that the head stock frame is bolted to the way bed. This means if your center isn't lining up perfectly headstock, there is a little adjustment there. You will brake the nice powder baked paint job that conceals the seam, but with the little play in the bolt holes you can line your centers up (side to side atleast).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom