Not so New in New Jersey.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dad

Hello everyone,
I joined this forum a few years ago, but haven't been able to pen turn alot. Busy schedule blah blah blah....
Anyway, I just wanted to re-introduce myself.
I reside in Eastampton, NJ, and love turning pens.
I am looking for a local club to join, but I am aware of none. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Also, I was wondering if there was anyone locally who might be able to teach me how to sharpen my tools.

I have a delta sharpening center Model 23-710. (I attached Photo) Not sure if this is what I need to sharpen them with or not. I bought it a few years back thinking it was what I needed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you,
-Dad

Attachments

• 26074_md.jpg
    26074_md.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 98
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Welcome from Ohio.
I wish I could help you with your sharpening but I have a hard time with it myself.
I am sure someone will come along and help ya out shortly.

rsulli16

hi in NJ

:)

I'm in bergen county, don't know of any clubs either. Start with cheap tools and just do it. You should see my skew, i skewed it good!! Other times it or the gouge just won't cut worth a darn so i just go back and redo it till it does.
I don't think there is a right way, just like applying a CA finish, wait till you catch up on that topic, everybody does it different.
So far as tools for sharpening anything that takes off metal will do. I use a Worksharp, others use grinding wheels, sandpaper by hand, stones etc etc.

welcome back
Sulli

Fred

Welcome back, Dad.

As far as sharpening goes, take a hike over to your local WoodCraft and see if they are able to help you out. Our's here in the Atlanta area offers a demo ever so often and so might your's!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader

Steve Busey

I've got the same sharpening system (got it when we cleaned out my dad's shop), but all I use is the grinding stone on the left side. It does the job and the price was right!

Top Bottom