Not exactly positive but...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Could we, as members, take more time to think about what forum a topic goes in before posting it? I know that I am more anal about organization than the average person so try to overlook typos, bad grammar, whatever....but this is getting worse as time goes on.

I don't know how to give examples without picking on individuals so I won't. The purpose of my posting is NOT to cast stones but to merely ask that people take the time to post in the appropriate forums.

If the problems is that we don't have enough forums or the purpose of the forum isn't clear - make a suggestion for change as Jeff has requested (which is almost where I put this but didn't know what change I was suggesting).

Thanks for your time.

(Changes made for clarity...Thanks for the editing!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Bill,

You are right on and stated it diplomatic enough. A few people are gifted that way. I don't think people would be too offended if reminded within their post - to make a note of the correct place (forum) for the subject of that specific post.

When it gets a little out of line on another forum that I frequent, there are often a nice nudge or two given. [:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<b>This Is a great site and is easy to navigate!</b>
O.K.,I said it and I mean it.
Tip-
I see by your membership date that you have been around a few months longer than myself.You may recall when I first started posting my biggest complaint was there were too many forums.
I remember the posts I made when a finishing forum was suggested.I yelled the loudest (actually I was the only voice)
My reasoning was we already had a pen turning forum and since finishing is the most time consuming part of making a single wood pen that the bulk of the information would be separated from the forum that best describes what we a re here for.
WE got the finishing forum, and a few others.
Your request bears out what I was complaining about 2 years ago.
With the amount of forums we have there needs to be a decision as to where to place a post.With fewer forums there would be no need to make that decision.
In some sites I have been on if a post would be better suited for another forum a moderator moves that post to the appropriate location.
I am very thankful that this site is not over moderated.
Perhaps if you see a post that you think should be somewhere else have you considered writing a pm to the moderator and suggest moving it?
As far as the typos and misspellings I am probably the most guilty.I also know that most people can red and understand a message with those transgressions except for the most blatant.
Have you ever tried the spell check feature that is on this site? It is just about worthless.It will tell you what is wrong in another screen, it doesn't suggest how to fix it and you have to continually go from one window to the next.
I am not a touch typist.It is a great effort for me to type.I would consider the voice to type feature on my computer but since I don't even hook up the speakers to my computer so I don't have to listen to it I certainly am not going to talk to it.
Occasionally I use I.E. spell and will try to remember to do so more in the future.
If I find a post that is so difficult to read I can't comprehend it I just skip to anoyther post(I use the scroll button on mouse[:D])

Skye

Originally posted by tipusnr...I put this but didn't know <b>whata</b> change I was suggesting)...

I've been on forums where there is a gross neglect for putting threads in the wrong forums. This one isn’t bad at all. When it’s bad, it’s obvious. My opinion is that you may be overcritical. I say just roll with it, no sense in letting it get to you.

“Have fun...life's hard enough!â€

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
quote:
Originally posted by tipusnr...I put this but didn't know whata change I was suggesting)...
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

See what I mean about being able to read something with errors and having no problem understanding it?
I didn't catch those until Skye pointed them out.
Tip I think you better rethink this one.[:D]

Rifleman1776

Saw Mill Creek, which may be the largest and most successful woodworking/turning on-line discussion forum there is, has many topic forums. It works for them. The moderators will move a posting to the correct forum if it is misplaced. They do put up a notice so it doesn't appear to have just vanished. They have about 9000 members, must be doing something right. OTOH, more forums means more work for owner/moderators and probably more expense to operate. Methinks it's a Jeff decision.

epson

I agree that people should pick an appropriate forum, although I do not think there is a big problem. Like Eagle said we should just move on the next post if a post is unreadable. I do not think that the spell check works great, but it is obvious when a person does not have the courtesy to read his own post prior to submittal.

I also think people should pick an appropriate subject for a new topic. I know that I rely on the subject line for searches, and to determine if I want to read the post. The following is a sample of subject lines that leave you wondering as to the subject of the post. This was meant to be humorous and not to pick on anyone. (As I have stated before, I am human too and also make mistakes)

1. What the $#@%
2. A non-penturning question (This was listed under the Penturning topic)
3. Not exactly positive but...
4. Another Rebill Question (I think this was a spelling problem)
5. How long should I let...
6. Need some help
7. An interesting request
8. Texas
9. No shame in my game
10. OPPSSSSSSSSSSSS void!

JasonF

Quote from Epson:
"The following is a sample of subject lines that leave you wondering as to the subject of the post.
8. Texas"
Just a suggestion, if "Texas" is the subject line it is probably worth reading.[:D][:D][:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
TEXAS:
Do you know why God put the Mississippi river so far away from Texas? Cause all the Texan's hot air would dry it up before it could reach the coast! [:D] [:D] Did you know that if the Rio Grande did not border Texas, it would be larger than the Mississippi! [:D] [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom