Not a pen but a request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

There is no pen here to see but a friendly reminder. This has been said before and just want to once again state a reminder that we are not mind readers🤔. Please if you are going to post a pen you made here take a small bit more time and give us some details such as what the blank was, what kit was it or some description of how you made such blank if it was a custom build. It is always great to see photos of our work but then we have to ask questions that should be already posted with photo. Not only does it help us the members but can be helpful for Jeff also if he decides to choose your pen for a front page opportunity. We live in a hurry-up world these days but this hobby is suppose to slow things down for us to enjoy, so slow down and enjoy the ride and help us all do the same. Just requires a tad bit more time. Thanks and Happy Turning.🙂

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes !! . . I agree with John . . ( And, thank you, John, for posting this reminder. )

We all love to see pictures of a pretty pen or an interesting pen and even a pen that you might think is sort of mundane.

But we all have moved past the point of just admiring. . We want to know what went into it.

At the very least, for a kit pen, please tell us the name of the kit you used and the name of the blank or the type of wood.
If you made your own blank, tell us the basics of how you did it. . We like to hear about any custom innovations you may have made.

For a kitless pen, please tell us some details of how you made it and what parts, if any, you "borrowed" and did not make yourself.
You can tell us about the blank material that you used and if the pen is a BP, RB, or FP (no, it is not always obvious from the pic.) .
Also, please tell us any relevant details about the threads that you cut ... ( yes, we might like to know how to copy your pen ! )
Even tell us the dimensions of the barrel and cap, and the size of holes you drilled. . The more details the better.

We are all addicted to dealing with and knowing these details ... and if you don't tell us up front, one of us will probably ask !!

Whatever you can tell us about your pen ALL contributes to the fun we derive from this hobby/occupation ! . We love to hear it all !!

leehljp

Member Liaison
We are seeing the results of the convenience of the phone camera. Very few take the time to go into detail writing on a phone as it is difficult to write long explanations on a phone.

I have had a few of my peers get irritated with me for refusing to take email on my smart phone. I get Excel docs, PP docs and large Word docs regularly, and daily. The phone can't handle them. And it is hard to respond with detailed explanations or do document corrections on a smart phone. Great communication does not usually exist in a strict twitter jot world. Short Twitter jots have their place, but not in the end it is like the good photos of a pen without an explanation.

It can be done, and a few DO take the time to write out good explanations on their smart phones. And Thank you, for those that do.

jttheclockman

We are seeing the results of the convenience of the phone camera. Very few take the time to go into detail writing on a phone as it is difficult to write long explanations on a phone.

I have had a few of my peers get irritated with me for refusing to take email on my smart phone. I get Excel docs, PP docs and large Word docs regularly, and daily. The phone can't handle them. And it is hard to respond with detailed explanations or do document corrections on a smart phone. Great communication does not usually exist in a strict twitter jot world. Short Twitter jots have their place, but not in the end it is like the good photos of a pen without an explanation.

It can be done, and a few DO take the time to write out good explanations on their smart phones. And Thank you, for those that do.
Hank I did not think of this but I think you may have hit on a very good reason. Thus the use of all the acronyms.

howsitwork

Thanks for that John , Mal and Hank.

i struggle to write using the Ipad keyboard ( hence frequent spelling errors) but agree phones and the urge to " show the result " can cause frustration for those who want to emulate the wonderful work shown. An Australian friend ( Ray I know you're out there ! ) plays hell when I send phone photos so I now changed over to using the ipad . If really proud I dig out the NIKON but file sizes are then huge !

If I ever get to the point of posting pens ( apart from on the photos of work page ) I will detail the kits used, never considered it before so again , thanks for the suggestion.

PenPal

With huge age and accellerated pain I am often brief but I do subscribe to detail especially living so far away from the forum. I try to sometimes go to pics of the trees etc above all I enjoy sharing this my most important hobby. Almost beyond belief the timber being circulated even right now is a thrill for me. I have been blessed with great experiences over the last whenever since the early 1980,s when I was bitten by the bug.

Thanks everybody for what you do,say and show.

Kind regards Peter.

Alchemist

I agree with all of you. Especially, since I am new to the world of turning of pens (anything actually) I like to know what kits are used, materials, etc. Everyone on this forum is very helpful with answers, and I've yet to see, "look on google" or "why haven't you looked at the old threads". (which I do) however, I wouldn't have found the Blade Click if someone hadn't posted what it was.
It's a small solution, but very helpful! Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom