non-stick bushing materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borg_B_Borg

Does anyone have any idea whether CA sticks to Delrin? I'm looking for a bushing material that CA does not stick to. I tried UHMW(ultra high molecular weight) polyethylene, but found that CA happily sticks to it.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />Does anyone have any idea whether CA sticks to Delrin? I'm looking for a bushing material that CA does not stick to. I tried UHDP(ultra high density polyethylene), but found that CA happily sticks to it.

Steve

I have made non-pen items from Delrin. I am yet to find anything that will stick to it. Still have a bunch in stock if you want some.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Frank, where did you get your Delrin?

COPE Plastics. They have a web site and locations around the country. My purchase was intended to manufacture a product, I had to buy a fairly substantial quantity to meet min. requirements.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Hey, Frank, what do you want for some of that? I'll trade w/you.

I have 3/8" and 1" stock. My cost was about $4.00 a foot for the 1". I've forgotten cost of the 3/8", let's call it 25 cents a foot. It is black. To turn it has a rubbery quality, needs no finish, not that one would stick. For pens, I reccomend no tubes (you can't glue them in) , drill to interior size. Lemme know what you have, I'm open for trade on almost anything that won't rot or blow up, doesn't even have to be pen related.

All 1" is sold.

Borg_B_Borg

My local Tap Plastics also carries Delrin rods and it has no minimum purchase requirement. It's sold by the foot. They have a website:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=158&

Steve

TomServo

Let us know how the delrin bushings work out.. this may be something to suggest to Nils, and other suppliers? Bushings shouldn't be any more expensive to make in delrin than steel..

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Let us know how the delrin bushings work out.. this may be something to suggest to Nils, and other suppliers? Bushings shouldn't be any more expensive to make in delrin than steel..

Delrin is soft, a touch with a gouge and it won't be the right size anymore. Of course, no one here ever touches their bushing with their tools. Do they? [;)][:p][:)]

JimGo

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />I make bushings from Hard Maple and soak them in a warm Mineral Oil. Neither CA glue, nor anything else that I use sticks to them. .
That's a great idea Russ! Do you put any kind of brass tube in them? I tried making traditional bushings, i.e. with a sharp shoulder, from Corian but had trouble because the tube I was using was (IIRC) a 10MM tube, which didn't leave a lot of excess material around the mandrel. I was able to shape the bushing the way I wanted, but the bushing cracked on me as I was turning; apparently the thin piece of Corian couldn't handle the pressure. I was thinking of using a 7mm tube from now on for any of my homemade bushings.

dfurlano

I would think a combination of delrin and steel would work best, something like the pin vises idea but change the rod to delrin.

Here is a pic of what I mean: (click to make it larger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom