Non-centering chucks-opine please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz Lang

I was looking at a 6" (I think) dia. non-centering 4[reversible]jaw chuck at Rockler yesterday...Sells for $69.00. Saturday they have a 25% off early bird coupon good for any one item in the store...This means I could get this chuck for about $55.00 including the stinking 7% sales tax...Question:Is a non-centering chuck that difficult to work with?
AND would you consider it $$$ well spent? I am also assuming that it is made in China...

The old Circut Rider

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Not at all. You can get a scrolling jaw chuck from PSI that's only $79.00. Granted it's not a 6" but you can mix and match jaws and go up to 8.25" with the flat jaws. It's just not worth the hassel.

Don't forget that they do come up on e-bay pretty often, keep an eye out there too. I just think that for the $25 saved you will be kicking your self for a long time.

Chuck Key

I like to keep a four jaw independent chuck around my shop. It will give you the ability to find the exact center of your work or let you put the center where you choose. With self centering scroll chucks, Beall type chucks and Jacobs chucks you end up with the center where the tool thinks it should be. However, if I could only have one chuck it would probably be a self centering type just for the sake of simplicity.

The Grizzly is around $55.00 with left and right hand thread adapters in several sizes available.

Chuckie

hilltopper46

I had some Dymondwood blanks with an unsquare cross-section that I wanted to center drill very closely last week as they were just barely big enough to make a cigar pen with.

So, downstairs to the metal lathe goes I, and used the 4-jaw independent check and dial indicated those puppies to center. Because the blanks were unsqaure, I could adjust the two jaws across from each other to center at a different spot that the other two jaws (I know what I meant, but am not sure you know what I mean [:)]). It made it really nice and square.

Sometimes nothing takes the place of a 4-jaw independant chuck.

jeffnreno

I have a self centering and a cheaper non self centering. I only use the self centering because it works so much better.

alamocdc

Frank, there are self-centering scroll chucks (like many of us have and use regularly) and there are scroll chucks that aren't geared to self-center. You have to "guess" or measure to get the piece centered in the chuck.

Fritz, I would only get one if I wanted to do eccentric turning. However, I recently saw a set of plans to make jaws for my self-centering scroll chucks that will allow me to do eccentric turnings w/o buying a new chuck. I just have to remember where I saw them.

Is this the chuck you are talking about?
http://tinyurl.com/ycyxnj

If so, you would be better off with this one
http://tinyurl.com/yg5q7y

Grizzly has one also you should check out

Firefyter-emt

FYI, I just bought the Barracuda 2 from Woodturningsz for about $170.00 and it has 4 sets of jaws, a screw center and it's a geared chuck, not a tommy bar design. The whole package comes in a storage box too.

stevers

I had a freind give me one like this,,, http://tinyurl.com/ycyxnj . I could'nt say no to a free tool.
We can't all be as lucky as Lee and support our habbit through sales.[:)] Not yet anyway.
Waiting to see what you can do with that new chuck Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom