NIP----The Adventure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Look at what the mailman broght me yesterday all the way from the Big Island--Norfolk Island Pine---she weighs in at a nice 21 lbs. This is a first for me.

2008322164027_nip1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Keep on posting Gary. I'm enjoying following the NIP adventure :D Is the blank dry or are you going to rough turn and let it sit for a while?

Gary Max

Keith the NIP is very wet my Skew is bringing water to the surface. If I do this right you should be able to see a light through it when I am done.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gary,

Seriously, which is a mite difficult for me :D what do you use to hollow a turning like this? I really have difficulty hollowing any vessel, particularly end grain.

Gary Max

Cav there are several hollowing systems out there that do a good job---look at the system that Oneway Ca sells---don't look at the price. Matching the tool to the lathe and turning the right size stock are the key factors.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,

I don't do serious vessels like that, but I saw a demo at the local WoodCraft. Call your WoodCraft and see if they have any scheduled. IT was amazing to watch the guy "core" about 4 vessels out of one.

Hello

I dig it.
I started trying my first vessel yesterday afternoon. I failed to tighten the chuck properly, several times, and have several bumps to show for it - boy doesn't that wood move fast when its comin' off the lathe.

Hello

when I get back to the shop (a.k.a. creepy corner of the basement) Iplan to find the piece that beat me up, smash it with a sledge hammer, and start a new one applying the lessons I learned from "the bully".

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Andrew, I brought the thread back to the first page. It must be REALLY boring in Anchorage right now as John (jwoodwright) is apparently trying to set a forum record for most NPGJ posts in a single day!! :D[}:)];)

Gary Max

Chris we are doing a show in 7 days---if I make some money I will be getting back with you---right now keeping the lights on is taking every dime I can get my hands on.
The trick on getting the traslucent affect---THIN

Top Bottom