Nib Tuning Source Material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

There was some discussion recently in another thread regarding nib tuning and smoothing. I just thought I'd provide a couple of links to sources that I've found helpful.

1. Richard Binder's nib tuning and smoothing workshop class handout:

2. Toolkit for above:

3. Nib smoothing notes by Brian Gray of Edison Pens. This link is meant to be used in conjunction with a video that he links to in the notes. Most of you are probably not aware, but Brian was once one of us--just a guy with a lathe in his garage. One not of interest from this link is that in Brians opinion, most nib problems arise from alignment rather than smoothing issues.

Hope you find this useful,

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Bill - I message Richard Binder asking his permission to distribute his notes, haven't heard back yet. Did you get his approval before posting the link?

bmachin

Bill - I message Richard Binder asking his permission to distribute his notes, haven't heard back yet. Did you get his approval before posting the link?
Duncan,
I did not contact Richard.

However, if you looked at the link you would see that as long as you are see it on Richard's website you are okay.

Bill

DrD

Brass shims, .001, .002 & .005" thick for opening up channel between tines; 20x loupe to see alignment of fines; ultra fine sandpaper or MicroMesh for smoothing out nib - I pretty much just use 12000 automotive wet/dry paper. All used with judicious pushing on the top of the nib at its widest point while nib is placed top up on a very hard, flat surface.

I have found this to be far less expensive than buying "specialized" nib tuning kits.

Top Bottom