Next Year's prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Not sure if anyone's still reading this forum, but maybe it will come up as 'new'...

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on which vendors to contact, and most importantly, which vendors to perhaps not contact for next year?

I just found out that Ed and Jerry are STILL trying to arrange delivery of prizes from one of our vendors. While I love that we got so many prizes, it's not worth it if our delivery gurus have to work this late into the year to get them delivered...

So what do we think for next year?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Andrew!!!!

WE think that YOU do a great job!!!

When we got the commitment from the vendor in question, we were short of prizes for the trivia and we breathed a little easier with the commitment for eight more.

I develop a bad attitude by this time, it is now TEN WEEKS since the bash started. The vendors are supposed to be adults and I expect them to keep their commitments----SILLY ME!!

BUT, the goal of the bash is for the members to have fun. We accomplished that. Those who are still waiting for prizes may not be as excited as they would have been, had the prize arrived timely.

So, I don't know the RIGHT formula. But I want to be very clear that YOU do a great job of GETTING commitments. Those who MAKE the commitments don't ALWAYS follow through---that sure AIN'T YOUR fault!!

My two cents.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
That's why I'm trying to figure out a modified list for next year...by now, we should know those that have trouble following through on commitments, Ed...if they've given us trouble two years in a row, it's not worth the hassle....

So let's figure out which ones to add to the 'is it worth it' list, and perhaps we can brainstorm a solution - such as not contacting them next year, or being more firm in expected delivery dates...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In case we read this next year, the first suggestion would be to announce on the forum that we are "receiving prize commitments" about January 10.

This year we tried to keep the bash kind of a "secret" to "surprise" the membership. Several members tried to make prize donations in early Feb, when they saw the bash starting.

Unfortunately, the contest chairmen needed a commitment as to their prizes BEFORE February. I remember doing it on the last Saturday in January. So, if the prize isn't here by then, allocation is a problem.

This would also tell us how badly we need more prizes.

Members keep telling us they like the contests and want MORE of them. (read quarterly front page contest --that DID get done, "open" slimline, "open" contest without giving up the winning pen, and others that I can't think of right away). Also the plaques seemed well-received, thanks to Charlie (NewLondon88) helping out on short notice.

So, yes, there are options to having LOTS of prizes. But if I were better organized, the prize allocation would go more smoothly, too.

Every year we hope we get a little smarter.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I think more contests is fine - as long as we get more volunteers, and a clear idea as to how to use them! :)

So we should set the contests in stone early on, decide what volunteers we need, and get them active during the early planning stages, perhaps....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I think more contests is fine - as long as we get more volunteers, and a clear idea as to how to use them! :)

So we should set the contests in stone early on, decide what volunteers we need, and get them active during the early planning stages, perhaps....

Andrew,

I agree completely. That said, volunteers are just that (volunteers) and I have had trouble getting early committments and activity.:frown:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

I agree completely. That said, volunteers are just that (volunteers) and I have had trouble getting early committments and activity.:frown:

Maybe we should consider improving your "bribery funds". If you own a small company that has lots of blanks, your compliance level is improved.:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Andrew,

Hey, we're volunteers too - we just need to find a few more like us! :biggrin:

(Although I shudder at the thought of any more Eds running around out there...the cost of moustache combs would skyrocket!)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey, we're volunteers too - we just need to find a few more like us! :biggrin:

(Although I shudder at the thought of any more Eds running around out there...the cost of moustache combs would skyrocket!)

HEY!!! When they made me, they broke the mold!!! I have no idea why I also recall loud cheering at that moment.:confused::confused:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Early start

Andrew,

Is it too early to start thinking(see I did not say planning) of ideas for this?

Top Bottom