Newest 4 pens trying to move up from slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BobNashvillega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my latest turnings left to right, deer antler pencil, purpleish slim line but not sure what the wood is, a friend wanted a pen turned from it the pic does not do it justice its a purple looking wood, the newest and one I like my new :)Americana from Black walnut also given to me to turn. The last is click pen from homemade PR. Any comments are welcome and I am still trying to get better.[^]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Lookin good man, always good to break your molds.

One suggestion, look into the Comfort pens. It's similar to the slimlines but a little larger. That'll avoid the hourglass look of your slimlines. Also, you can always try to make your own center bands. I'ts not that hard if you have a few tools and you'll be able to change the thickness of your pens even more.

Here's a link to Russ's tutorial: http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen51a.html

Skye

I cant tell you what most people buy because I really dont know, but after seeing a few I know I'd rather turn them. Now, if I were buying a pen to modify just for the sake of modification, I may go slimline, but I wouldent turn another bushing to bushing slimline if I can help it.

Here's a pic from Penn State:

comfortpen.jpg

Just omit the rubber grippy part. I cant stand that. lol

chigdon

Good job Bob. Sometime order some kits from Arizona Silhouette and try some Barons. The chrome are very affordable and have an excellent wearing finish. They are a pleasure to turn, are still pretty affordable, look expensive, and are really easier than some of the other mid-priced kits.

GBusardo

I have taken to turn comfort pens with out using the comfort rubber end. I just use a slimline bushing for the tip. I use one for my work pen. I like the heft and feel. Besides, I find it hard to cut off nice grained wood, just to put a hunk of rubber on it. I had made a few for Christmas presents this past year, and people seem to really like the comfort tip. I bet they would be a decent seller.
Gary

I've turned quite a few comfort pens and prefer to toss the rubber end. I use a slimline bushing for the tip as well. I don't know how they sell because I haven't sold any but ... the people I gave them to as gifts sure like them. [:)]

Chris thanks for the info and the Barons look nice my question is to make them would I have to get new bushings again to make them and comfort pens? Or do you guys make your own bushings when your making the Barons and the comfort pens without using the rubber end.[?]
I too did not consider the comfort pens because of the rubber end I did not like the looks but you guys have brought up some great ideas about throwing it away and just finishing pen in wood.
Then again I should not be surprised at great ideas from some of the people on here, it is sure nice being able to hear and see the different ideas[:)]

Skye

Or do you guys make your own bushings when your making the Barons and the comfort pens without using the rubber end

I'm sure some people make their own bushings, but I just stick with store bought.

You'll need a Comfort set of bushings, when you put everything on the lathe, rather than use the Comfort bushing towards the tip, just use one from your slimline set since you're ommiting the rubber.

chigdon

I don't make bushings either. Even if I had a metal lathe I probably would not as they are cheap. You will need Comfort Pen bushings and Baron Bushings. The biggest upfront expense for Baron pens are the new drill bits which are 2 different sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom