Newbie intro.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick

Hi from West Mich.I have been turning a few years(small bowls)but new to pens.I like this web site,and appreciate all the interesting topics discussed,thanks to all for sharing your knowledge & experiences.I have a couple questions,and would welcome any input,thanks ! I recently purchased some slimline pen & pencil kits,turned,finished and assembled them; the pencil is giving me problems-the lead is "stuck"and will not advance.I am not sure what size the replacement lead would be .5mm or .7 mm? Help!! Also are there any folks from the Muskegon/Grand Haven area out there ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

prophetmkr

Hi Dick, and welcome - I'm new here too. There is a ton of expertise here! I love seeing all the wonderful pens and reading on all the techniques. Trying them out is a blast!

broitblat

Welcome, Dick.

I believe most slimlines that a 0.7mm lead.

I'm not sure what is the cause of the lead not advancing, but a few things to check (if you haven't already):
Does the tip of the pencil mechanism extend cleanly from the nib (no obstructions)?
Is it possible the lead is jammed inside the mechanism? You could try removing the lead and inserting a pin or thin wire through the tip of the mechanism to clear any jams.

-Barry

ctubbs

Hi Dick and welcome from west Kentucky. On the pencil lead, have you tried pulling the led out of the end? I have found that a very short piece gets fed out and broken of inside. Sometimes the new piece does not want to start out failing to push the old short piece out. This is not what always happens, but it may help.
Charles

gandsande

Hey Dick,

Welcome, from Ottawa Canada, Not that far from you and my home town of Rockford, MI. If ya wana meet up for coffee in late feb. I have plans to be in Grand Rapids for a week. PM to arrange.

Redstoneal

Welcome from another new guy from Alabama...West Mich..seems they call it lake effect..i been there...you'll learn alot from these IAP guys.. and yes 7mm and take it apart..nothing complicated..

76winger

And welcome from Indiana.

Most pencils I've had experience with all use 0.7mm leads as already mentioned, especially slimline sized pens.

Top Bottom