Newbie in Utah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LRusson

I'm a newbie in Utah. I started penturning in November and I am loving it. I like to turn other things on the lathe as well, but pens are fast and relatively easy. I am trying new challenges, especially segmented pens, because straight wood blanks are fairly easy. I am working on jigs and my biggest challenge is when I try to add metal sheets. My glue-ups fall apart. I am working all that out.
Aside from woodworking I am a chemist by profession. But when I get home from work I need a break from the science and I have to get my shop time. I have included a couple of my favorite pens to date. Nothing too ambitious, but I like the results.
One is goncalo alves with a black enamel slimline pen. The black grain of the wood was a stunning match to the black pen kit. One is bocote with other wood segmented in (I don't remember what the other woods are) in a gun metal slimline. The last is padauk with afromosia in a copper Funline Designer pen by PSI. The afromosia didn't come out as light as I had hoped so there is not as much contrast as I wanted. Yellow heart or maple would have been better.

Attachments

• Smaller Black Slimeline.jpg
    Smaller Black Slimeline.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 170072a.jpg
    170072a.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 170161b.jpg
    170161b.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom