Newbie from PA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

easton17543

Hi everyone. After reading the reviews here, I bought a lathe (Harbor Freight 34706) back in the spring. I made a few pens in the spring, but then got busy with tennis and yard work over the summer. Now, I'm getting back into pen making. Thanks for all of your input. I've learned a lot from this site. I will be working mostly with Corian, and found the thread about how to assemble Corian pens without them cracking to be very helpful. I now use one of these (not the same brand) to deburr the tubes before assembly.

Have a nice day,
Seth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Welcome Seth.

I have the same lathe. I believe it was the best value priced item I purchased for this great hobby. The variable speed and rotating head, made the decision for me. Enjoy the site...

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Seth!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

SamThePenMan

I bought a lathe (Harbor Freight 34706) back in the spring.

How do you(or anyone else that has it) like it? Is the variable speed an electronic dial or a lever/belt change? I'd really like to be able to get a big lathe like this but haven't gotten to the point yet where we can settle down in one location (I wouldn't want to have to move this everytime I had to move). I can't afford it now but maybe in the future when I can settle in one place I will. Ideally I would like one of the large powermatics with the LED RPM read out but I think this one from Harbor Freight could hold me until the time comes! :)

Mark

The VS is lever/belt driven. The rotating head is nice to have (in case you ever need it). It's a nice lathe for the money. BTW: The tool rest is not a standard 1 inch diameter. Don't ask me how I came to realize that...:biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Seth. Looks like you are doing great and finding things here that takes some people months. We need to get you into helping people find things here! :biggrin:

I am late in posting this but still I want to welcome you!

easton17543

How do you(or anyone else that has it) like it? Is the variable speed an electronic dial or a lever/belt change? I'd really like to be able to get a big lathe like this but haven't gotten to the point yet where we can settle down in one location (I wouldn't want to have to move this everytime I had to move). I can't afford it now but maybe in the future when I can settle in one place I will. Ideally I would like one of the large powermatics with the LED RPM read out but I think this one from Harbor Freight could hold me until the time comes! :)
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I got sidetracked with work, etc., and am just starting to get back into making pens. I like the lathe so far. There have been no mechanical problems with it. It runs fairly true also. I just turn one blank at a time for the slimlines, and that seems to work the best. The variable speed works well. I got a Barracuda 2 chuck from PSI when it was on sale, and use that on the lathe to drill blanks. I'm not sure if the tailstock on other lathes will extend out far enough to drill the whole way through blanks, but it won't on this lathe, so I just push the tailstock by hand. If you're careful, this can be done fairly accurately, but I think it was Hank who wrote in another post that this most likely will not be accurate enough if you are drilling segmented blanks. The price on the lathe was great. My chuck cost more, and I'm hoping they'll both be in good working order for a long time.

The VS is lever/belt driven. The rotating head is nice to have (in case you ever need it). It's a nice lathe for the money. BTW: The tool rest is not a standard 1 inch diameter. Don't ask me how I came to realize that...:biggrin:
Thanks, Mark, for the tip about the tool rest. That is one part of the lathe that I would like to upgrade soon. What did you end up getting for a tool rest?

Welcome Seth. Looks like you are doing great and finding things here that takes some people months. We need to get you into helping people find things here! :biggrin:

I am late in posting this but still I want to welcome you!
Thanks, Hank, for the welcome and the compliments. If I can be of any help, just ask. I appreciate the help and info I've received from this site so far, and hope to contribute myself.

Have a nice day,
Seth

Last edited:

easton17543

Thanks Rich. Wilbur Chocolate is right in Lititz, so I'm more likely to smell that. I see you live not too far from Clarion. I used to go there when they had regional wrestling tournaments at the university. I also have relatives in Clearfield County, Dubois, and Punxsutawney. I saw a few of your posts - it looks like you've been turning for quite awhile.

Have a nice evening,
Seth

Top Bottom