Newbie from Belgium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rembrandx

Hi folks! My name's Rembrand and I recently got into fountain pens (mostly vintage) through some reviews on YouTube and because I like drawing and making various things, I'm now looking into making my own pen(s).
Wasn't sure how to get started so I dove into the many, many interesting topics and posts on your fine forum and thought I'd join to get the full experience.
Who knows, maybe I can eventually contribute a bit.
I don't have a lathe as of yet, nor a lot of working space, so I think my next step will probably be: buy a (mini) lathe!
(goes off to scour the forums for recommendations…)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Rembrand ( no "t" ?? ) !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! :)

Since you seem to be primarily interested in fountain pens, and since I assume that means entirely made by you (except for nib) ... we say kitless ...
I would recommend that you buy yourself a small metal-working lathe. . There should be some nice ones available in Europe. . If you want some help, I might be able to give some guidance, but there are others here with great experience and some have roots in Europe so they would have better first-hand knowledge. . I can even suggest some contacts who you could talk to . . Don't rush into any buying decision !

rembrandx

Hi Rembrand ( no "t" ?? ) !!

:D Yes, indeed! My parents thought it would be more original (although I suspect it was most likely a typo during the registration of my name). Anyone (or any topic) with knowledge of the European offerings would be quite useful indeed, thank you!

howsitwork

Welcome from the UK, still ( I think ) part of europe.
I and my family have many fond memories of Belgium, quite a few involve waffles and chocolate if I am honest. Wivamac lathes are made there I believe? They are probably a bit on the large and expensive size for pens but you can turn small things on a big lathe and the opposite is often not true .

As Mal says a metalworking lathe such as a myford of boxford will give you plenty of scope but you will need to be careful to clean up afterwards as the sawdust etc can lead to corrosion.

I know there are wood turning clubs over there, can't recall any addresses but no doubt someone on here has contact details. Try any lathe you are considering our BEFORE you buy it. It must work how you feel happy with.

Ian

Welcome from Big Sky Country...Montana USA. Loved my stay in Belgium and the chocolates and pastries are out of this world (as was the coffee and everything else). Glad to have you join the club.

Top Bottom