New with a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

Hello. My name is Darryl and I live in N.C. I am completely new to turning. I have recently bought a Delta midi & set of HSS Delta turning tools. Still need a grinder.

I plan to start this adventure with slimline pen kits & cheap blanks since I don't know what I'm doing.

I have read that the centers that come with the lathe are not made for the 60 deg. mandrels and will cause problems. Is this true?

I want to get it all together & get started with the learning process, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Welcome Darryl!

I'm a beginner last year,and have learned a lot along the way.I did buy the 60 degree big cone-looking live center & that worked ok,but recently bought the "Mandel Saver" from PSI and I like that so much better.It's way faster to work with and it keeps from bending the mandrel.It's nice not having to mess with the knurled knob anymore.

If I had to do it over again,I'd get that one instead of the cone-shaped one.Just my 2 cents.........

It's only about 15 bucks,if I remember right.

Take care,
Steve

its_virgil

Welcome Darryl.

A 60 degree live center would be a good tool to add. The mandrel saver has gotten mixed reviews. Guys I've talked to either really really like it or they don't. You could give it a try and see if you like it. I have no problem with mandrels needing saved so I've not used one.

Don't over tighten the brass nut and the tail stock quill. Both will cause problems with your pens being out of round if over tightened.

Sharpening can be done without a grinder. So some searching and you will find some alternatives such as sandpaper on a flat surface or a disc or belt sander if you already have one of those.

You may want to consider an adjustable mandrel and turn the pens one barrel at a time. It isn't really any quicker to do both at the same time.

If you get bored with slimlines, check out some articles I've written on modifying slimlines to keep you challenged. You can find them at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Ask questions about what you may not understand...we are a helpful bunch.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hello. My name is Darryl and I live in N.C. I am completely new to turning. I have recently bought a Delta midi & set of HSS Delta turning tools. Still need a grinder.

I plan to start this adventure with slimline pen kits & cheap blanks since I don't know what I'm doing.

I have read that the centers that come with the lathe are not made for the 60 deg. mandrels and will cause problems. Is this true?

I want to get it all together & get started with the learning process, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

ROOKIETURNER

Welcome Darryl! All I can say is do a search about "turning between centers". Then see JohnnyCNC about getting setup. He has everything, including the live and dead centers you need to get started. Plus he is one heck of a guy!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Daryl! I'm from sunny southern California. I'm putting a few links here that might help you get an idea on things "to start."

Good start for a beginner outlining the some of the essential things to start off with – by Hank
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41005

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

There are many penturners here at IAP that are also vendors selling various types of tools, equipment and supplies. Many of the post in the Business Classified and Most Valued Vendor forum - the links are found under "FORUM" on the first blue line above.

Mark

Hi Darryl. Welcome to the IAP.

I switch back and forth, depending on the blank I'm turning. I like the Mandrel saver. I find it convenient to use when I'm only turning one blank at a time. If I'm working two pieces, I just use the 60 deg live center.

You will eventually develop your own favorites and such. Good Luck and enjoy your new hobby.

bensoelberg

Having just started myself, I can tell you that the live center that came with your lathe will definitely damage your mandrel. 60 degree cone centers, mandrel savers, or turning between centers all have plenty of people who swear by them. It all comes down to personal preferrence, but the one thing that I think we would all agree on is that you should not use the stock center from your lathe.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Welcome

Welome to IAP. Don't get yourself all wrapped around the axle about 60 degree center/mandrel saver and Turning between centers all will work and you can produce good pens with all. In my opinion, much more important to your success as a beginner is learning how to use the turning chisels, particularily the skew which is not the easiest to masterr.

dhallnc

Welome to IAP. Don't get yourself all wrapped around the axle about 60 degree center/mandrel saver and Turning between centers all will work and you can produce good pens with all. In my opinion, much more important to your success as a beginner is learning how to use the turning chisels, particularily the skew which is not the easiest to masterr.

With this in mind, could I just mount some scrap wood and just practice using the tools? I know it's not going to go well for a while, so why waste good blanks?

ctubbs

First off, welcome to the greatest turning site on the internet. OK! So I'm predjucied. See, I still can't spell!:redface::confused:
I started the cheep way. I didn't even glue tubes in the wood. I just drilled a 1/4" hole in some wood, slid that on the mandrel and applied a tool. If you do take this route, stand aside when the wood blows up and parts come flying at your head! This, however, will teach you to use a gentle hand on the turning tool of choice. I used scraps of wood left over from other woodworking projects lying around the shop until i felt comfortable with the equipment. Later, you can then purchase some of the relly great blanks offered by some of the IAP members here.
Charles

johnnycnc

With this in mind, could I just mount some scrap wood and just practice using the tools? I know it's not going to go well for a while, so why waste good blanks?

I think that would be a very good idea! A lot of us started on scraps, to learn
the tools and how they cut. Practice your sanding and finishes, too.
You'll be ready to go on a nice blank when you are ready and only be out little to nothing on the practice scrap.:)

steeler fan1

Welcome Darryl. You've come to the best site for general and specific help. You've been given some great advice already. I'll add just a couple things.

Respect your equipment. Don't wear loose clothing when running the lathe.

Be carefull not to get caught between the tool rest a turning object.

Wear eye protection.

These things are pretty much common sense but a little reminder never hurt.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. We all started at some point, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Have fun and enjoy this great hobby.

Carl

ctubbs

Would 1x1 pine be OK just to practice with?

The only thing is the pine can be fractus and catch or splinter easily. It will teach a gentle hand. I find it to be a bit hard to get a really good smooth finish on some of the softer woods. If the tools are not sharp, tear out can occur.

the mandrel saver works for me but so does TBC. Your experience will tell you what you prefer to use.
Charles

juteck

Welcome to the IAP. I just replied to your PM then saw this thread. Good advice above, and practice with scrap is a good idea. Pine is a tough one to start with. Green wood is actually easier for the first time putting a tool to wood, with no consideration for making anything. If you have any "fresh" firewood or recent tree prunings (hardwood preferred), find the straightest piece you have that's about the same length as your toolrest, mark centers on each end, and turn it between the spur center (headstock/motor end) and live center (tailstock end), and make it round.

Don't try to make it too small of a diameter so you wont have to learn about vibrations yet - bigger will be easier to start with, maybe a 2 inch branch or so.

There should have been a basic instruction manual that came with your lathe. If you're not comfortable on starting alone, take a look at the PMs I sent you and let me know. I'd be glad to help any way I can.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
For practice, I didn't have access to "scrap" wood. So I went to Home depot and bought a bunch or 3/4" ash dowels.

IPD_Mrs

Everyone has given you great ideas and tips. You idea of practicing on scrap is also a great idea. With that in mind, look for different types of wood to practice on. If you have done any wood working (flat work) you know that pine feels different than oak and cherry can be temperamental to finish. Getting to know the feel of different woods and materials through your tools will help you as you experiment.

I might get hammered for this but you already asked about 60 degree centers. Personally I hate turning on a mandrel and would encourage you to try (down the road) turning between centers. It really helps if you find that your turnings are out of round. There are many causes for this. As someone already mentioned (great advise) don't over tighten the brass nut. You would be surprised how easy it is to put a slight bend in the mandrel.

Good luck, holler if you have questions and most of all have fun with it.

bitshird

Welcome to the IAP Darryl, every one has given you sound advice, and over time you will develop your own preferences as to Mandrels or turning between centers, and so forth The link Don Ward "it's Virgil" posted can make a 2.00 kit into a work of art, and the other links will keep you occupied, main thing is Have Fun..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Something not yet mentioned.

Take a look at YouTube for vids showing how to turn pens. LOTS of info from good turners and, FREE!!!!

Welcome, enjoy the IAP!!

Top Bottom