New War Eagle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcavin

Hello everyone,
I look forward to participating in and learning from this group. I'm retired USAF, but like most retirees have continued to work. My home prior to entering the AF (1972) was Baton Rouge, LA (GEAUX Tigers!), moved all over the world during 24 year AF career, then settled back in Baton Rouge, had several jobs winding up at LSU. Eventually a new job with Auburn Univ. brought me to Auburn, AL. "Straightline" woodworking has been a hobby for a long time, but just recently decided it was time to get into turning. Wish I had done so a long time ago. I have a LOT to learn but I'm jumping in with both feet and learning all I can from sites like this and others.

Just got my Laguna Revo 12/16 for Christmas and started with pen turning, intending to get into bowls very soon. I cast a couple of blanks and learned very quickly I need the Harbor Fright (saw that name on another post :)) pressure pot - what a difference it made. Tried my first celtic knot the other day - and learned about blow outs (yikes) when I was almost finished turning and some of the small pieces of wood between the inserts decided it would be a good time to part company with the rest of the blank (LOL).

Best wishes
Glynn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello everyone,
I look forward to participating in and learning from this group. I'm retired USAF, but like most retirees have continued to work. My home prior to entering the AF (1972) was Baton Rouge, LA (GEAUX Tigers!), moved all over the world during 24 year AF career, then settled back in Baton Rouge, had several jobs winding up at LSU. Eventually a new job with Auburn Univ. brought me to Auburn, AL. "Straightline" woodworking has been a hobby for a long time, but just recently decided it was time to get into turning. Wish I had done so a long time ago. I have a LOT to learn but I'm jumping in with both feet and learning all I can from sites like this and others.

Just got my Laguna Revo 12/16 for Christmas and started with pen turning, intending to get into bowls very soon. I cast a couple of blanks and learned very quickly I need the Harbor Fright (saw that name on another post :)) pressure pot - what a difference it made. Tried my first celtic knot the other day - and learned about blow outs (yikes) when I was almost finished turning and some of the small pieces of wood between the inserts decided it would be a good time to part company with the rest of the blank (LOL).

Best wishes
Glynn
You will also learn that very sharp tools and a good touch will play a huge role in your success or failure in this hobby. Be careful with the HF pot and do not exceed the allowed pressure. They are also known to leak and there are fixes so if that happens come back here and they will be explained as will any other problem that you have while making pens. We are a one stop shop. Oh yes WELCOME

gcavin

You will also learn that very sharp tools and a good touch will play a huge role in your success or failure in this hobby. Be careful with the HF pot and do not exceed the allowed pressure. They are also known to leak and there are fixes so if that happens come back here and they will be explained as will any other problem that you have while making pens. We are a one stop shop. Oh yes WELCOME
Hi John
Thanks for the welcome. I understand your advice about the pressure pot. I've used a variety of air tools in my workshop - my other hobby for a time was custom hay baling, which required a lot of improvised maintenance, welding, cutting, etc on the equipment. I'm a big believer in pressure relief valves and over engineering the air system. I modified the pot to be as simple as possible - the fewer connections the better to minimize leak points. It took a few attempts, but I think I've addressed most of the leaks and the pot seems to hold pressure pretty well now.

I do have a question - I set the pressure at 40 psi for some Alumilite blanks and that seemed to work well. But I also have seen on one of the forums where 60 psi was used. That seems a little too high. What pressure do you recommend?
Thanks again.

jttheclockman

Hi John
Thanks for the welcome. I understand your advice about the pressure pot. I've used a variety of air tools in my workshop - my other hobby for a time was custom hay baling, which required a lot of improvised maintenance, welding, cutting, etc on the equipment. I'm a big believer in pressure relief valves and over engineering the air system. I modified the pot to be as simple as possible - the fewer connections the better to minimize leak points. It took a few attempts, but I think I've addressed most of the leaks and the pot seems to hold pressure pretty well now.

I do have a question - I set the pressure at 40 psi for some Alumilite blanks and that seemed to work well. But I also have seen on one of the forums where 60 psi was used. That seems a little too high. What pressure do you recommend?
Thanks again.
I do not use Alumilite but use Simar41 and also Epoxy resins and always set at 55 to 60 lbs. Never had a problem. My pot is rated for 80lbs and I too have a HF that had for well over 15 years now and still works well.

WarEagle90

Welcome aboard, Glynn. Nice to have another member literally down the road. I'm about 10 miles north of Auburn. Graduated from AU a few decades ago and have a son there now. War Eagle!!

gcavin

Welcome aboard, Glynn. Nice to have another member literally down the road. I'm about 10 miles north of Auburn. Graduated from AU a few decades ago and have a son there now. War Eagle!!
Hi Dan
Thanks for the welcome. This is certainly the most active forum I've been on and it is great to get to know other enthusiasts. Glad to hear you're a War Eagle and that your son is now attending. I work in the College of Engineering - and have discovered that Auburn really is a family.
I noticed that the Central Alabama woodturners chapter meets in the Birmingham area each month - do you participate? Are there any turning classes nearby that you can recommend?
best wishes,
Glynn

wood128

Welcome Glynn to the forum of many very talented penturners . Tons of info here in the library . I am also retired USAF 1984 and then worked for NASA for 24 years on Apollo and Space Shuttle programs at Kennedy Space Center.
My college is the University of Florida , so I am a gator !! We play Auburn tomorrow in basketball . Take care.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

Top Bottom