new turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rangerdoug

Hello,
I am a fairly new pen turner and enjoy it very much. I am looking for a resource for fountain pen kits. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might look?
thanks
rangerdoug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Welcome from Mansfield, Ohio. You are a stones throw away so let me know if you need any local help.

As far as fountain pen kits, lots of our suppliers sell them. Look at Exotic Blanks, CSUSA, and PSI to name a few. If you need the website addresses let me know.

Padre

Welcome from New England.

You need to start with the fountain pen information found right here on IAP. Go here to start. And read, read, read. And don't be afraid to ask questions.:biggrin:

monophoto

Doug -

Welcome!

I'm a fountain pen fanatic, and frankly, I haven't found the perfect kit yet. The basic issue comes down to design (most are too ornate), the use of snap caps rather than screw caps, and the use of multiple and/or odd size tubes (which then requires that you invest in multiple drills, multiple barrel trimmers, etc - creating business for the suppliers but unnecessary cost for the penturner).

I can tell you that I will never buy another CSUSA Artisan kit - it's a snap cap design (I prefer a screw cap), the extended metal end on the body makes the balance unnatural, and converters don't seat properly and can easily come out.

So far, my favorite is the Big Boy cigar from PSI. Screw cap and nicely balanced, without that ugly protrusion at the back end. Unfortunately, the selection of platings is very limited (like a Ford, any color you want as long as its 24k gold).

chiefgreen

Welcome from Fort Worth, Doug. As you can see, you can get some quick answers to your questions here. There are some "heavy duty" pen turners here. There is so much more to pen turning than you would expect. You will see some amazing stuff here. Have fun.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome, Doug.

If you're serious about fountain pens you'll want to check out nibs at Heritage Pens.com. I think Lou's nibs are also available through exoticblanks.com. As far as kits, I think you've been given some good sites to check out.

I'm putting a few links in here for reference –
This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654
This link tells of some "out of the box" tools/aids for pen turners http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66178
You've been looking around for awhile. If you need anymore info, don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and Wiki links on the home page.

Top Bottom