new turner... got a problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeCharmer

I have a Central Machinery Lathe which has a 3/4 10T head... ordered and recieved a 3/4 10T to 1 8T and then a 1 8T mandrel.... from Penn State... got this all put together and I have a Wobble at the head of the mandrel.... obvously the adapter is not true enough for a pen turning mandrel... I am stuck now can't order anymore stuff and get these pens done by Xmas.... :( The head on the CM lathe is not drilled for any type of taper...
The only thing I can do, I think, is do what I should have done at first...... is to drill and tap the head to fit the mandrel rod....and eliminate the screw on portion of the mandrel..
forgive me if my terminoligy is not correct.... I am new to this game...any other ideas out there? [?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Snake,
Not a 100% sure what you mean, but if the headstock doesn't have a taper, perhaps the tailstock does and just swap the mandrel around.
Maybe hold the threaded end of the mandrel in a chuck on the headstock. Bit of tape on the threads to protect them?

Good luck, hope you find a solution in time[:)]

Pikebite

Can you not get a mandrel that will fit directly onto your 3/4 x10tpi thread? In the UK Axminster do a collet chuck with a 3/4 x 10tpi thread.

The more things that you put onto your headstock before the mandrel i.e. thread adapters, the more chance of a wobble.

Hope you get it sorted.

SnakeCharmer

I ordered a drill chuck from PSI and will drill out the head for the 7mm mandrel.... and eliminate the adapter.... will take pics when complete. don't know for sure what I will do for larger mandrels.
I have a drill press pen turner mandrel so am using that for my xmas pens.... it will happen after all. just turned my third pen and have the finish I want.... Cool! [8D]...[:D]

loglugger

Sorry to hear that it is not working for you. Did you check and make sure there is not a burr on the end of the shaft or threads inside and out. Frank has a good idea. Drilling the shalf should work if you can get it true with the shalf.. When I had that lathe I got a reversable 4 jaw chuck from HF to hold the mandrels but if not careful it will get your hand.
Bob

SnakeCharmer

shouldn't be a problem holding it true since I will drill it while it is turning. If it doesn't work I will have to get another lathe. should anyway I guess....
I do not think that the mandrel is the problem... maybe the adapter from 3/4 10tpi to 1 8tpi is likely the problem..... I am sure it was not ment to be on a lathe..... the adapter is now stuck in the mandrel...[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom