New Toys!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fishshooter

I just finished putting my pressure pot together. It would have been much easier if I had bought all of the correct sized fittings the first time I went to Lowes.. Once I put it together and tested it, I figured I needed some typr of mold so I made this one from the Alumilite mold kit. It was pretty easy to work with. And finally, here is a pic from some worthless pieces that i had left over and did not think I would be able to use. The wood was completely covered before putting under pressure and the square piece sticking up was just to hold the other piece of wood down. Tomorrow I will cut and turn it... Got my fingers crossed...

200711125834_oct%20%20assorted%20050%20a.jpg

200711125855_oct%20%20assorted%20046%20a.jpg

200711125104_pen%20stuff%20nov%20006%20a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I too have just gotten the pressure pot and now I am wondering what is need to make this work??? From your picture it is hard to tell of your setup. Also when doing up blanks how long do they need to stay in there??? Are there any rules to follow for safety reasons??? Thanks for the replys.

Fishshooter

John.....I used the tutorial that Steve posted.. The only thing that i am missing is the vacuum gauge but it is coming. The block that I posted above is the Castin Craft stuff from Hobby Lobby. I poured it and put it under pressure and went to my son's hockey game. I probably left it there for about four hours and took it out when we got home. Not sure if that is the "correct" way to do it but it looks like there are no bubbles so far.. I'll know for sure when I cut it in a little bit.

Steve.. You guys had me at hello..

stevers

That's good Don. The more the merrier.
John, I just leave mine in over night, or if I pour early in the day, till that evening. I spose what I'm saying is around 8 or 10 hours should be enough. If you put in a good amount of MEKP, (3 or 4 per ounce/more with liquid color) the blank should be well beyond the gelling process and into the curing process by then. I have had them out in 6 or 7 hours, but they are still soft. I wont do that with label or cactus castings. They stay in the full time, (my full time). This is just my 2 cents, I am not an expert on casting. There are vets here with far more experience then me.

If your pot is set up well, there shouldn't be a lot to be concerned with. Of course, don't over pressurize the pot, fallow the manufactures recommendations for max pressures. Be sure all of your fittings are well installed. If you plan on leaving the air or vacuum supply connected, you may want to conceder leaving the pop off valve on the pot. I removed mine for two reasons. One is, it was a piece of crap as were the fittings it was mounted with. And two, I disconnect my air supply as soon as the pot is up to pressure. Mine holds pressure for as long as I need it to so there is no reason to leave the supply line connected. And of course, use common sense, if it feels dangerous, it probably is. I may have over looked a couple of things. Anyone else have anything?

Smokey7385

Fishshooter - how much mold product was required to make the alumilite silicone mold? I tried to use some mold stuff from Hobby Lobby and after a week it is still not set up.

Fishshooter

I used the one pound kit.. It is actually 14.5 oz of the rubber and 1.5 oz of the stuff to cure it.( all came together) I mixed it for a few minutes and poured it into the mold and let it sit overnight. Real easy to work with an it is pretty seems durable. Time will tell i guess..

I finally was able to start turning my "worthless" blanks and they are now in many pieces all over the garage. I think that the wood was too dry. It looked good for a while and then exploded. Guess I have to try it again..

Smokey7385

Thanks for the info on the mold.
Bummer about the exploding blanks. My first pour didn't work out either. One of the pieces cracked/split from the inside!?! Didn't show up until the sanding started.

Top Bottom