New Tool Rest for Jet Mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwc

I'm wanting to get a 4" round bar type tool rest for my Jet Mini.

Where might a guy find a good one at a good price.

I do have a good friend that's a machinist that I know would make me one but I don't know what to tell him I'd want it made of. Any suggestions here?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Contact member- SWOODWRKNG his name is Lamar and he makes great tool rests at a great price. Sometimes he is hard to get a hold of but its worth a try.
These guys http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tbarmodtools.html have a nice selection too but they are a little spendy.
This is always nice stuff, I know he has a 6" advertised but you might be able to get a 4" from him too. http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.php

kevin_f

The tool rest broke on my Jet mini lathe also and I made my own from 5/8" "cold roled" steel (size of tool rest holder). I just cut one piece of steel to desired length for tool rest portion and another for the post that goes into the tool rest holder and welded them in a T shape making sure they were at a 90 degree angle. From a 3' piece of steel, I made a 3", 6" and 9" tool rest and they have worked great. If you have a machinist friend and he can weld, I would think he could build one for you, just tell him to use "cold roled" steel. When I was building mine, I also ran across other designs for tool rest on different woodturning web sites.

Kevin

bnoles

Ken,

I got mine here

http://monster-wood-tool.com/

They are some of the best I have run across and the same ones that Bill Grumbine uses. A little on the pricy side, but high quality. I love mine and highly recommend these folks.

kenwc

Kevin...How long did you make the post for the best amount of vertical adjustability?

Bob...I've been looking at the same place you got yours and he and I have emailed. He can do any length. If I purchase I I'll purchase there.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If your friend wels, go to the BIG Box or a hardware store and get 2 5/8x 6" bolts.(cost is under $5.00.)
HAve him weld them after the heads are cut off.
Bring your tool rest with you so you get the length correct for the post.
I made mine with a wire feed welder from HF.
BTW I am not happy with a round bar for pens I feel I can set my stock Jet TR closer.
That being said,Wood Craft sell a replacement TR for the JET for $8.00.Buy a new one and cut it the length you want.[:D]

kenwc

Agreed Eagle, about the round bar and pens. I have two lathes and one pretty much only does pens. On the one for pens, I use the Woodcraft modular rest and I really like it. The other lathe is for all other things...bottle stoppers...bowls...experimenting etc. The bar rest(s) are for that one.

loglugger

Eagle, you can get some flat bar and weld it on the top of your round bolt. I used square stock to build mine. Without going to the shop I think it is ¾†or 1†square.
Bob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by loglugger
<br />Eagle, you can get some flat bar and weld it on the top of your round bolt. I used square stock to build mine. Without going to the shop I think it is ¾†or 1†square.
Bob
Since I only do pens I want the tool rest 6".
I made a short one for bullet casing cores.
After doing so I realized that the $8.00 one a WC cut down is the easies way to go.I happen to like the stock tool rest.
I made the short one just to see if I could do it.
I did with no step by steps instruction and I am not a welder.
"It aint pretty , it only has to work."

kevin_f

Ken, I made my post 3 1/2" long and it just comes to the mid point of the lathe center. You could make it just a tad longer. The part I liked about doing it myself was the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but also making three different sizes tool rests with the one stick of cold roled steel and still had a little left over. Can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't too much. Bought it at a hardware store I think. Cold roled steel is usually painted red on the ends, hot rolled is painted blue, but hot roled is not as strong/rigid.

Kevin

kenwc

I've talked to my buddy and he's going to make me the 4 and 6 inch. I'm having him drill and tap the ends for a 1/4-20 bolt. I might want to bolt on a little tool stop on the chuck end. I have this fear of my tool slipping off the end of rest and jamming the end into my Talon chuck. Sitting in a wheelchair does not afford as much control and movement and compensation as standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom