New to turning and to IAP, from Minnesota

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twelverobots

Wow, what an inspirational place. Just poking around here and looking at threads and photos I already have a lot of new plans for pens (and pencils, and seam rippers) to turn.

My name is Jason, I live in Farmington, MN. I am a computer programmer and a hobbyist turner. I got my lathe in December and started turning pens about six weeks ago. I'm pretty well hooked now.

I recently finished grad school, and my kids are getting old enough that they don't need my attention anymore, so I found a hobby to occupy my time. I have had to force myself to slow down and spend less time in the shop. In addition to not wanting to burn out right away, I can't afford to keep making 10 pens a week. To help me slow down, and to challenge myself, I decided to jump into segmenting. Lots of glue and lots of patience. I've also started harvesting and cutting some of my own blanks when I can find available wood.

Here are some of my pens.

DSC_0924.jpg
DSC_0931.jpg
DSC_0937.jpg
DSC_0941.jpg
DSC_0946.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0940.jpg
    DSC_0940.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 63
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Nice job, on most of them šŸ¤£, I'm not a fan of your second ones, the spalted set, but to each his own. I enjoy the segmenting aspect too, so many roads to go down, one design leads to another which leads to another jig you need, there's no end. Lots to learn here, enjoy.

Wow, what an inspirational place. Just poking around here and looking at threads and photos I already have a lot of new plans for pens (and pencils, and seam rippers) to turn.

My name is Jason, I live in Farmington, MN. I am a computer programmer and a hobbyist turner. I got my lathe in December and started turning pens about six weeks ago. I'm pretty well hooked now.

I recently finished grad school, and my kids are getting old enough that they don't need my attention anymore, so I found a hobby to occupy my time. I have had to force myself to slow down and spend less time in the shop. In addition to not wanting to burn out right away, I can't afford to keep making 10 pens a week. To help me slow down, and to challenge myself, I decided to jump into segmenting. Lots of glue and lots of patience. I've also started harvesting and cutting some of my own blanks when I can find available wood.

Here are some of my pens.

View attachment 330207View attachment 330208View attachment 330209View attachment 330211View attachment 330212
Hey Jason,

Nice job on the pens. I'm sad I've only done one so far but also did some duck calls for the grand kids but I have several pen kits and blanks
waiting. PS there is no such thing as shop burnout. lol Like your doing move around on projects and swing right back around.
You wait you will so have such a tool and turning addiction, and the best part is the only cure is more tools and more turning.
Keep up the great work

Kind regards,

Tim

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Jason and especially to the world of segmenting.
For inspiration click 'Forums' then scroll down to 'Blank Making sub forum Segmenting' and click the first thread ' No comments.........'
You will find 9 pages of some lovely segmented pens.
If I knew how to put the link in for you I would!!!!
There is plenty of segmenting advice in the library. ( Apologies if you have already found these sites, It took me months before I found them )
Alan

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. It looks like you have come a long ways for only making pens for 6 weeks. I am really jealous of all of the Woodcraft and Rockler stores in your area. I have relatives in the Kimball area up by St. Cloud. I used to drive up from South Dakota through Pipestone, Marshall, Wilmar, etc. to get there. A side trip down highway 55 was always a lot of fun. - Dave

studioseven

Welcome Jason from your neighbor to the east (Wisconsin). I had to look up where Farmington was in Minnesota. If your schedule allows, I highly recommend the MPG (Midwest Pen Gathering) coming up this April 22 and 23rd outside of Chicago, Illinois. Lots of seminars and demonstrations on subjects related to pen turning. There will also be vendors selling pen turning supplies. Its fun to meet other penturners and talk about this addictive hobby of ours. They also have great door prizes. Hope you can make it.

Seven

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Take a look at our Library of Tutorials listed on the Home Page under "General Announcements".

Here is a direct link to the Library of Tutorials Menu.

Here's a list of world wide Pen Suppliers.

Let me know if you find any others.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom