New to the Board w/ Finishing Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MPoeller

Well I am new to this forum but not new to pen turning, however I am new to putting nicer finishes on my pens.
So my questions are as follows:

CA glue annoys me and I do not like using it as a finish. However when I do use it I finish (after applying CA) by buffing with Tripoly and then White Diamond. I have recently purchased a can of spray lacquer (Master Lacquer Top Coat to be exact). I found however that upon trying to buff (which maybe it did not need) the lacquer turned somewhat gummy and basically ruined the finish to the point where I have to sand it off and redo it. Was this because the lacquer was not cured 100%? If so how long should I wait? I waited a little more than 24 hours. To that end should I even be buffing a spray on finish like that?

How long does micro mesh last? Does it load up like sand paper or is there a way to "revive" it. It is much more expensive than sand paper.

Before a spray coating like lacquer how high should I sand too. Typically I sand to 600, then EEE, and the spray. Should I go higher than that before I spray?

Thank you in advance for your answers and although I am new to "FINE" pen turning I hope to frequent this board for ideas and instruction.

Matt Poeller

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Sounds like your lacquer was not fully cured. I don't use lacquer very often, but I generally let it cure for a week before buffing. That may be longer than necessary, but better safe than sorry.

I primarily use CA polished to 12000 MM. The MM can be unloaded by smacking it against your jeans. If it gets really loaded, just stick it in a sock or pants pocket and throw it in the wash. MM should last for quite a few pens.

rtjw

I dont use lacquer but I have heard that you should let it cure for a couple of days.

The MM question, I just put it in the washer and wash it. Brings it back to life.

gerryr

Look for the recent thread on lacquer finishing, there's some good information in there. I just recently switched to spray lacquer(Deft) and at this point couldn't be happier. I even use it bullet pens now, brass casing and all.

its_virgil

Lacquer must cure for a week or so prior to buffing.[V] It is torture to have pens sitting in the shop and not be able to assemble them. But that's the trade off for lacquer. I use deft lacquer cut with lacquer thinner....50% lacquer and 50% thinner. Apply 5 or 6 coats and forget about the pen for a week or so. But, CA is my favorite.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Look for the recent thread on lacquer finishing, there's some good information in there. I just recently switched to spray lacquer(Deft) and at this point couldn't be happier. I even use it bullet pens now, brass casing and all.

MPoeller

Thank you to everyone that has chimed in. I think that I have the laquer thing down and have some MM on order. I will hope to post somepics but they can also be seen on my website. Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom