New to penmaking from Las Vegas Nv

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdavis29

Hello I'm Will from Vegas and I want to know if this is the best lathe for making pens on a small budget.

New Shop Fox 1/3 HP Bench Top Mini Lathe
Ideal for pen turning and small project turning, this Bench-top Wood Lathe with cast iron construction and infinitely variable speed control offers the precision pen turners demand. Includes Safety paddle switch, MT #1 spur center, MT #1 live center, 4-1/4" and 7" tool rests, 5-3/4" face plate and 3/4" x 16 TPI RH spindle.
  • Variable speed motor
  • 1/3 HP, 2 Amp, 110V, Single-phase, 60HZ
  • 700 - 3,200 RPM spindle speed
  • 12" Distance between
If you know of any other mini lathe for under 200 please let me know thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from Indiana. Always good to have new folks drop in and stay a while. I'm not familiar with that lathe either but Shop Fox has a good reputation as far as I have heard. The motor sounds a little small at 1/3HP but if pens and small items are all you plan on doing it should be okay. Is there a chance you can buy with the agreement that you can return it if need be in a week or two? Stick around and ask and listen, these folks will be good to know.
Bill

Seer

Welcome I lived in Vegas for years and want to get back I visit a lot so maybe we can get together when I am in town.
Jerry

glycerine

Welcome. Don't know about the shop fox, but I have a Turncrafter Pro and it's been awesome for me. They are fairly cheap as well. Got mine used from an IAP member as a matter of fact.

danroggensee

Hi Will and welcome from over the hump in Pahrump. You will find alot of great info here. so enjoy the IAP site.

Dan

Ligget

Welcome to the forum, I do not know much about the specific lathe you mention, but with those features you listed it will be more than capable of turning out many pens.

Padre

Welcome to the forum! I have no experience with the lathe you are looking at, but there are lots of lathes out there, from Penn State Industries to Harbor Freight that might fit the bill.

wdavis29

Hey since you are in pahrump and im in vegas where do you get your pen blanks and pen making stuff from is there any good place here in vegas or pahrump

will

Hi Will and welcome from over the hump in Pahrump. You will find alot of great info here. so enjoy the IAP site.

Dan

psperan

Will, I'm a newby myself and just bought my lathe from Harbor Freight, it original $220 on sale for $199 had a 20% off coupon so it ended up $160 and I have to say it is working great. No vibrration and the pens are turning out nice. Hope that is helpful.

termitepenman

Welcome. If you are talking about the Shop Fox W1704 1/3 HP Benchtop Lathe it is basically the same as the Harbor Freight Mini wood lathe. I posted some pictures of that lathe and some pictures of the modifications you could do on it. I have the Harbor Freight mini lathe and paid $79.00 for it with a discount coupon. Harbor Freight has a store coupon for 25% off right now. I posted under Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools.

Dennis - Sacramento, CA

PenMan1

Welcome to the forum from Georgia. If you can wait 2 weeks, all the lathes go on sale on black Friday with free shipping. The Jet 1014 will be on sale at Amazon (free shipping) and at many of the big box wood stores.

The Shop Fox is a private label for one of the big box stores. If memory serves me correctly it is the same as the excelsior, which leaves a lot to be desired.

For a few dollars more (on black Friday) you can get a Jet, Ricon, or Delta for not many more dollars. I'd wait a week or two (and I know that is hard!).

Top Bottom