New to pen turning in Virginia Beach, VA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I turned my first pen this weekend. It was a slimline twist pen. Due to a fear of a blow out, I was afraid to get too close to the bushings. But when I assembled it the wood was still proud of the band. Am I suppose to make the blanks flush with the bushings no matter what type of pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
In general, yes.... But two big things:

1). Bushings are disposable and will wear as you touch them.
2). The same style kit can have different sizes, even platings can change the size...

Therefore many of us use calipers to verify dimensions, especially at critical points like near the nib end.

Ligget

Welcome to the IAP, generally speaking bushings are a rough guide only, for a better fit I use a micrometer to measure the pen kit hardware and use that as my finished size for my blank.

snyiper

Welcome to the frenzy just to add a little more infor to what has been put out. 1). Bushings are disposable and will wear as you touch them.
You will touch them with a skew or gouge or any turning tool no matter how careful you are and this will reduce the outer diameter. You will also hit them with sandpaper as well that also is wear and tear. Now on the flip side during finishing CA glue can build up on them as well so it is more or less just a guide and when you get close use calipers for a real good fit.

2). The same style kit can have different sizes, even platings can change the size...

I do mainly slimlines and with each and every plating the thickness does indeed change so I measure every nib and centerband to get the right dimensions for a good fit even from the same colors they can very.

You will spend many hours on here reading all the info you can stand, Lots of great folks here as well . Welcome to the fray!!!!!

Padre

Welcome from Connecticut, and Alphageek was right on.

Carrick

Navycop,

Welcome, congrats on your first pen. As most will say...It's an addiction not a hobby. I am over here in Chesapeake. So, if you find any good turning groups over your way, please pass the information along. I will do the same. Welcome to IAP...

PTownSubbie

Hey there NavyCop, Welcome to the best forum on the internet!!

Take your time and just absorbe the multitude of information that is here. Your head will start spinning before long.

I hope we can get together, I would love to give you a hand learning some more about pens. Be prepared to empty that billfold though....LOL

PM me some time and we can work out a get together. I am not too far away!!

TBCbushings

Welcome to the group NavyCop! There is a TON of info on here so sit back and do a lot of reading , posting and asking questions.....
Brian

ctubbs

Welcome from far West Kentucky. Give the home page a look and near the top right side you will find a link "library index". There you can find all kinds of good info about most anything to do with pen turning. Great resource.
Charles

Top Bottom