new to all this and have a stupid question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

hello folks,
I first wanted to say how much I enjoy this sight and how beatiful all of your pens are. I started turning pens a few days ago and thus far have only made 7 or 8 slim lines..I just ordered a jet mini lathe and it should be here in a few days( to replace the harbor freight lathe I currently have) My question is, is it possible to use a varible speed control on it, ie. router speed control..?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
No, wrong type of motor, you'll burn it out.

BTW, You're in good company and this is a stupid question.
I know this because that was the first question I ever asked about turning.[;)]

There are 2 Jet midis, one w/ VS and another w/o. I am not certain that a router spped control would work. Do a search (make sure oyu check the archive box) on VS control set ups. Sure there was a post just recently using some spped control device but can't remember what it was.

guts

Harold,i think you better not try the the VS. on the jet mini,could cause some severe damage,i have a jet,and after changing the speed with the belt it takes about 30 seconds to change,have fun.

Skye

Yeah, changing the belt would be the way to go if you can do that on a mini. Not familiar with them. The father-in-law uses one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom