New Technique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have been working on a new technique. I cast these today. These are not label cast and there is no wrap around the tubes. You're looking at the tube in this photo. I'm pretty happy so far.
E4B5385C-BEE8-4B11-B15D-C45DEDAF7200.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

Good morning, Ken
Very nice tubes you have there. They got me thinking back to my pre-pen days when I included dye sublimated coasters in my booth at A&C shows. A bit of historical perspective FWIW. After purchasing a special printer, a heat press and relatively expensive ink I gave it up after 3 or 4 years. The primary reason was I couldn't print frequently enough to maintain an acceptable ink flow and cleaning with the high cost ink wasn't very cost effective. Unless things have changed dye sub inks needed a polyester substrate or they would not adhere well if at all.

In some ways thermotransfer seems to be a significant improvement, especially if there is no need for the thin PE coating. MY very short Google search didn't provide an answer. I assume you are doing the transfer from the special paper in an oven and are holding it around the tube with tape. I would consider playing around with it if all I had to purchase was some thermotransfer paper,which I understand can be printed with standard ink used in inkjet printers. I'd be interested if you think I have it about right.

Again, nice and very innovative work.

Larry

KenB259

Good morning, Ken
Very nice tubes you have there. They got me thinking back to my pre-pen days when I included dye sublimated coasters in my booth at A&C shows. A bit of historical perspective FWIW. After purchasing a special printer, a heat press and relatively expensive ink I gave it up after 3 or 4 years. The primary reason was I couldn't print frequently enough to maintain an acceptable ink flow and cleaning with the high cost ink wasn't very cost effective. Unless things have changed dye sub inks needed a polyester substrate or they would not adhere well if at all.

In some ways thermotransfer seems to be a significant improvement, especially if there is no need for the thin PE coating. MY very short Google search didn't provide an answer. I assume you are doing the transfer from the special paper in an oven and are holding it around the tube with tape. I would consider playing around with it if all I had to purchase was some thermotransfer paper,which I understand can be printed with standard ink used in inkjet printers. I'd be interested if you think I have it about right.

Again, nice and very innovative work.

Larry
You still need the PE coating, but you can buy pre printed sheets and designs in many places. Just look for infusible ink sheets. The PE coating can be bought as well and applied to pen tubes, as I did. The blanks I made were sublimated.

Top Bottom