New style of pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Rockler released their own version of a pen press (see link) and it is reasonably priced at $50. The press looks like a modified clamp but simple. Not sure if I am a fan of the twist style press though, the traditional press style seems easier and more efficient.

Just thought I would share this with everyone since I can across it. What are you thoughts?

rockerlpenpress.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

My thoughts because I'm ok with the one I have. If I was in the market I think the screw version would be a little slow getting started. That wouldn't stop me from purchasing because no telling how many times have I needed that last little fraction and it went too far. I'd give it a try. Thanks

Todd in PA

I have the PSI press, but switched to this between centers lathe
Less than half the $50 price tag.

I only use my old press for disassembly, which the Rockler does not do. IMO there are better options than the new rockler.

MedWoodWorx

I have the PSI press, but switched to this between centers lathe
Less than half the $50 price tag.

I only use my old press for disassembly, which the Rockler does not do. IMO there are better options than the new rockler.
this looks neat;i suppose it can also be made instead of being bought. Interesting idea...

jrista

Not sure if I am a fan of the twist style press though, the traditional press style seems easier and more efficient.

View attachment 341988

This was the thought that immediately came to mind for me as well. With a levered press, you have the ability to immediately release pressure if something starts to go awry (i.e. the nib or finial starts to tilt, which can often result in cracked blanks, etc.) With a levered press, you just pull back and the pressure is gone. With a screw, you have to unscrew to release the pressure, which would be rather slow.

BULLWINKLE

Rockler released their own version of a pen press (see link) and it is reasonably priced at $50. The press looks like a modified clamp but simple. Not sure if I am a fan of the twist style press though, the traditional press style seems easier and more efficient.

Just thought I would share this with everyone since I can across it. What are you thoughts?

View attachment 341988

I have always used an arbor press. Bought one years ago at Harbor Freight for about $30. They since have discontinued the 1/2 ton I bought but they sell a one ton for about 50-60 dollars. What I like best is that it's used vertically. For me, it's easier to keep parts aligned while pressing parts. I use a small piece of soft pine wood on the top to prevent the steel ram from marring the parts. Cheap and works very well with minimal pressure applied.

randyrls

As a general rule, I don't like "single-taskers". I want multi-use tools. I want to use what I have. I use wooden jaw covers on my wood working bench vise. It has a quick slide feature and can be adjusted easily.

wouldentu2?

I use a squeeze clamp from Harbor Freight. Made over a thousand pens with it no problems, not much money. After all this time I wouldn't want to use anything else even if it was given to me. Tempt me, make my day.

monophoto

It's interesting to watch how tools evolve.

First comes the need - it can be for anything, but some kind of tool or implement is needed to perform a function. Some clever craftsperson (and most craftspeople are clever) finds that tool XYZ can be used to accomplish that need. And tool XVY is something that every person practicing that craft already has.

But then a tool manufacturer recognizes that tool XYZ is being used for a new purpose, and thus evolves a new tool XYA that is specifically designed for the need and that the manufacturer can sell. And people buy them!

When plastics first started being used to manufacture things, there was a need for a tool to separate snap-together plastic components. Ah Ha - a butter knife would do a great job. But then someone invented the 'spudger' - which is a tool made specifically to separate snap-together plastic components, but is really not superior to an ordinary butter knife.

And we call this progress?

penicillin

I use the lathe for assembly. I bought the SawDust Bros pen press adapters, and never looked back. They aren't special. Here they are (but sometimes available from other sources):

The primary reason I like them is they are small and easy to store. Some dedicated pen presses may be better (and many also support disassembly), but they cost a lot more and take up space in the shop.

You could make or improvise your own set in a couple minutes to save a few dollars. Since you are pressing, not turning, the fit does not have to be very good. Anything that is soft (won't damage the tapers) with a cupped face (countersink?) should work. I was lazy and bought them.

ADVICE FOR PEN PRESSES THAT CRANK IN, such as assembly on the lathe or that new Rockler pen press (yuck! overpriced!):
  • Avoid the small hole side for pen tips.
    • Many crank-in pen presses have small holes on one side to center pen tips during assembly. That includes this new Rockler pen press and the SawDust Bros pen press that I use. The problem is that the hold can leave a circular dent or other damage to the tip. Instead, I center the pen tips in the slightly cupped face on the non-hole side. It works as well as the side with the hole, but without risking damage to the tip.
  • Turn the crank very carefully and slowly. Make sure the parts are well aligned and stay aligned as you SLOWLY press the part in place.
    • I use my hands and fingers to help the part get a good, straight start and keep it aligned as it goes in. I work very slowly. If anything is even slightly misaligned or not straight, I stop and fix the problem. At the start you can wiggle the parts to keep them going straight. Pay attention to catch if it starts to misalign.
    • By the time you reach the point where you cannot pull the part out with your fingers, you must be very very sure it is aligned and going in straight.
    • It is much easier to press in than press out. Take your time. Assembly is so quick anyway, thus patience and care are virtues here.

mick

The only thing I see as an advantage to this type press... or clamp is the ability to very precisely set the depth of say a slimline or Euro designer transmission by virtue of screw action of the press. That's attractive in itself but not worth buying a new press. Like Don, I'm happy with the Milescraft.
I've got enough screw clamps to rig one of these if I wanted to. I might dabble a little and make a dedicated transmission clamp.

Top Bottom