New Set up . WOW! but I got questions, need help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jashton

Well I sure enough took advantage of the pvp tutorial. I made my order from HF and then ran to the Local Lowes and got the fittings. My only problem is that the Vacuum pump was on back order from HF. So.... I bought on on e-bay, believe it or not it was 30 cents cheaper ( with shipping and all) I am still waiting for it to get in.

The only thing I could not understand or was not mentioned in the tutorial was, ....when you take out the vacuum block from the pump,and attach the block to the pot, what causes the vacuum? I am new at this and would like some help as I think I am missing something.

I also attached a pic of my set up. He was right when he said the HF fittings are cheap and extremely hard to remove!!

I saw in the previous post that someone had a actual vacuum pump attached to the pot.

What would be the best avenue? Take the HF pump apart and use the block or use an actual pump like in the previous post?

Please help!

2008326191315_100_4896.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jashton

Thanks for the insight, But the HF block that connects to the pot as a Air Compressor male attachment. I guess I dont understand how adding air to the pot will take it out of the pot with the block?

sbell111

A good vacuum pump is always going to be better (and easier). Using a venturi pump, you will need to have a compressor with a pretty big tank to achieve a really good amount of vacuum. On the other hand, those venturi pumps are much less pricey.

jashton

Guys you can trust me, it only has the parts that Stvers suggested, as my wallet felt each one of them when I went to the checkout counter......It was worth it though. It appears that I also have a leak somewhere. I am fixing to do a leak test on it.

stevers

Wow Joe, I am flattered. You did almost an exact reproduction of mine. If you still need help in the vacuum dept, let me know. You are welcome to E-mail me if you need.
The easiest way to find the leek is with soapy water. At first it will seem as tho it's not working, but as soon as you find a leek, the bubbles are unmistakable.

OK Karl, don't make me go out and pick up some more fittings. [:p][:p]

Originally posted by jashton

Guys you can trust me, it only has the parts that Stvers suggested, as my wallet felt each one of them when I went to the checkout counter......It was worth it though. It appears that I also have a leak somewhere. I am fixing to do a leak test on it.

It may be a moot point now, but here is a link to a less-complicated setup. http://www.blindsquirrel.us/Scott/PressurePot.jpg
Detailed pics: http://www.blindsquirrel.us/Scott/PressurePot/

To seal my threaded fittings I pulled a vacuum on my pot and applied thin CA on all of them.

jashton

Ok guys being the rookie here I have another question....... When you use this OUSTANDING device to stabilize wood .....what do you put your chemicals in. I would assume that you dont just pour them into the pot. Do yall use a plastic container or what. I have minwax hardener and pentacryl. Is there any other chemicals that are better?

Help as I am ready to conduct business .....if I knew what that business was....LOL

sbell111

I use mason jars when I stabilize. I stick the blanks into the jar with the chemical du jour and weigh them down with big old washers. The jars are then loaded into the pressure pot. When it's time to pull them out, I fish out the washers and blanks and allow them to dry on a rqack that I made out of hardware cloth (square chicken wire). I spin a lid onto the mason jars to save the left over solution and store them in a closed cabinet.

jashton

Thanks for the help guys. How much vacuum do you normally pull and for how long?

I have never heard of the chemical Du Jour? Help me out with this. Is it something I can get locally?

I have used stabilizers in the past but did not weigh them down. They floated until they were penetrated, then they sank.

What's yall's opinion?

sbell111

When I wrote 'chemical du jour', I just meant that everybody doesn't use the same mix. I don't even necessarily use the same mix all the time.

I used to stabilize blanks using a big pickle jar as the vacuum chamber. I didn't necessarily weigh them down then because I could see whether they were floating. Now that I use a paint pot, I weigh them, because I can't see them.

jashton

Well I did the leak test and found two leaks. One was from the HF rubber gasket on the base of the lid (inside). The rubber gasket was just junk. I took a rubber washer from a brand new water hose and ....problem solved. The second leak was on the HF regulator on the base. Though the leak is small It still made me mad. After several test of taking the regulator off and using it on other items, it was determined that it was not my plumbing job with the Cheap regulator. I contacted HF and they are sending me a new one. The one thing that saves me on this leak is the second ball valve on the other side of the regulator. I can now get my pressure and cut the second ball valve off and not have to deal with the leak.

All is good.

I also met a local pen turner yesterday at our county fair. He was doind demos on pens. I advised him of the pvp, he sounded really excited. After I told him of this website and what it offers I will be willing to bet that he is now a member.

Thanks again for all the help.

Does anyone have a chart .......psi chart for vacuum or pressure dealing with the different kinds pr's and stabilizers?

Top Bottom