New Segmented Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

Here are 9 of my new constructed segmented wood / solid surface material pen blanks. These will all go to www.exoticblanks.com
Any questions about construction ? I am always here to help and share my design work.
P1010001.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Have to say you have a very imaginative mind. Question what are the length measurements of these? It looks like they are designed for a single tube use. Also what glue are you using for corian and wood blanks? Thanks

wood128

Have to say you have a very imaginative mind. Question what are the length measurements of these? It looks like they are designed for a single tube use. Also what glue are you using for corian and wood blanks? Thanks
The lengths are 5 " and more and they vary from 7/8 " square to maybe 1 " . I use epoxy and sometimes Titebond for gluing . Too much heat in turning will of course cause problems .

wood128

Superb as always Joe. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ I admire your precision and creativity. Hope all is well.
Thanks Mark. Not very well for my age . My wife of 38 years just lost her sister , and she moved to Utah for awhile to be closer to her son and family . Then this week my son -in-law lost his mother , so for now it is just me and my beautiful loving cat Gracie !! How are you and yours doing , my friend ?

michaelperez

Here are 9 of my new constructed segmented wood / solid surface material pen blanks. These will all go to www.exoticblanks.com
Any questions about construction ? I am always here to help and share my design work.
View attachment 362478

Hello, thank you so much for sharing your post, your work is awesome,very nice pieces, hope you are doing well.
My wife and I are just starting in the woodturning world and we like working with segmented wood, we are mixing different kinds of wood considering its texture, color and grain. We are always looking information for the best finish technics, we love natural finishes but for segmented wood, according to our research, CA glue is the best way to go. We start with 2 coats of thin Parfix and then 6 coats of medium Instabond, finally Micro mesh.
Recently we have changed for bob smith medium odorless which is also more flexible and feels better quality, now we have ordered also the thin BS because we read that it's better not to mix brands.
In the process of learning we have seen a video that shows that after the micro mesh sanding and polishing process there are 2 more steps one is Ack's polishing abrasive and then a marine polish and sealant super gloss.
What do you think and what are your recommendations for segmented wood?

I'm attaching some pictures of our work.

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    791.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    946.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    827.9 KB · Views: 40

ZanderPommo

Hello, thank you so much for sharing your post, your work is awesome,very nice pieces, hope you are doing well.
My wife and I are just starting in the woodturning world and we like working with segmented wood, we are mixing different kinds of wood considering its texture, color and grain. We are always looking information for the best finish technics, we love natural finishes but for segmented wood, according to our research, CA glue is the best way to go. We start with 2 coats of thin Parfix and then 6 coats of medium Instabond, finally Micro mesh.
Recently we have changed for bob smith medium odorless which is also more flexible and feels better quality, now we have ordered also the thin BS because we read that it's better not to mix brands.
In the process of learning we have seen a video that shows that after the micro mesh sanding and polishing process there are 2 more steps one is Ack's polishing abrasive and then a marine polish and sealant super gloss.
What do you think and what are your recommendations for segmented wood?

I'm attaching some pictures of our work.
IMO, CA finish is the way to go on essentially every wood pen and even some polymers. The only time I don't apply a CA finish for the most part is when turning PR or when someone specifically requests being able to "feel the wood" and even then I would only find that adequate on some woods. Just my $.02

michaelperez

IMO, CA finish is the way to go on essentially every wood pen and even some polymers. The only time I don't apply a CA finish for the most part is when turning PR or when someone specifically requests being able to "feel the wood" and even then I would only find that adequate on some woods. Just my $.02
Thank you so much for your answer and absolutely agree not all woods are adequate for natural finish.
greetings

Top Bottom