New Play Toy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

melogic

I was visiting a friend in Virginia over the weekend and this is what I left his shop with. Does anyone know anything about this particular item? I thought maybe I could try some rope pens and maybe some other sort of twisted projects. I took it off of his hands for $300.00 and it also has a chuck for a 4th axis. It is variable speed and has only been used in his jewerly making business about 4 or 5 times before he purchased another machine like it but it is fully automatic. Let me know what you think and any information and help is greatly appreciated.

2006619162555_cnc1.jpg

2006619162613_cnc2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Mark,
I don't think you'll be able to do anything with it. You'd better sell it to me for $50, so it doesn't just sit around at your house collecting dust.

[:D]

Nice find!

melogic

Well guys, I think I made a good choice when I purchased it. I have been on Sherline's web site looking around also. But at least I know where to unload it if I ever need to.[:D]
Plus my friend is going to start selling my pens in his jewelry shop. He said he has people come in all of the time looking for nice pens and he has nothing to offer...until now.[;)]

Daniel

I've heard that those can be hazardous to the environment of your shop as well as your production level of pens. with all the delay they cause you may never actually complete a pen again. never fear though, I will gladly take it and dispose of it in such a way that it can never threaten anouther penmaker again.
Just remember in the future you have to be more careful about what you let follow you home. and never just throw your shop doors open to jsut any lost stray piece of equipment again. ship them directly to me and I will give a thourough looking over to make sure thare are no dangers like this one poses.
Actually, congrats on a great find. I looked at the sherline lathes and other equipment when I first started turning pens. I've seen this type of machine at work in a lab at U.N.R. and they can get it to do some pretty nifty tricks. have fun.

btboone

I have the same mill. It's actually pretty accurate. They can be upgraded to CNC for a modest cost. To do ropelike cuts, you'll have to come up with a drive mechanism to be sure the X and rotary axes are driven together. You might be able to make something with pulleys and gears that can do that.

Gary Max

Good stuff---I use a Sherline 4500 lathe to make pens with.
Don't let the size fool you they are built to run.
You might look at Lee Valley ---they have a bunch of stuff for the lathe I ain't sure about the mill.

KenV

Wooo Hooo - a real live mill. Mount a dividing head (or head stock with indexing) on one end and a tail stock on the other and you have the potential for lots of stuff. Add CNC and you can become a pen-programmer.

For rope like shapes manually, you may need to check to see if you can pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time as you will likely be turning two hand wheels at the same time at a consistent rate of speed.

(Lee Valley has Taig - a competitor to sherline in the micro lathe business.

By the way, that motor and controller alone are worth about $200 in the condition shown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom