new photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw

Just posted a couple of shots of a Jr. Gent FP in cocobolo that I finished this weekend. It's kind of different...I think this is gonna be my style. I think I'm gonna do nothing but Euros and Jr. (and SR.) Gents...and all fountain pens...and all with solid lower barrels. I like the looks of them

DWFII

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

DW,
They look great. I think it depends on why you are turning pens should determine the style for you. In other words, if you are selling them at craft shows, see what sells the best. Like me, I sell a lot at work, so I let the people asking for them pick the style they want from one of my catalogs. The european style has been one of the biggest sellers for me. The complete desk set (pen, pencil, letter opener, magnifying glass)has been the biggest seller by far.

melchioe

I agree, they look great (I just love cocobolo, it often doesn't even need a finish!

If I had unlimited money and didn't need to sell the things (to support the hobby), I'd probably do the same thing. To me, those are some of the nicest styles of pens.

However, I realized a while back that simply collecting the pens I make is less than satisfying - I need for other people to like them too, and the only way i can trust that they really do is for them to buy them (that way I know they're not just being polite). So I've found that I really need to pay attention to what sells, allowing for the changes in fashion and trends.

I do more commissions than anything else, and it's a good way to get a feel for your particular market.

dw

Well, I'm not making pens full time, it's true, but ball point pens are so "common"...heck, you can pick up one free at the bank or insurance place. OTOH, making a ball point pen is fun and they often turn out beautiful. But no one really notices them even when they're using them.

Fountain pens on the other hand...I gave a Gent's FP to my 38 year old son-in-law and he didn't know what it was! But I sold six of them in the next three weeks (just by word of mouth) and got $75.00+ for each of them! One of those was a pen I had hoped to keep for myself. I paid for my DC and a bunch of other stuff from those orders.

So, I'm not collecting them...I'm selling them. I just think the way to go...for me...is to make and sell nothing but high end stuff. Probably won't work for everybody, but I've had this philosophy for the last thirty years and it's served me very well: "value your stuff low and the customer will value it low, as well."

DWFII

pecartus

Colobolo I had always considered a classy looking wood when finished and DW you have a phenomenal looking pen with the customization you have created on the exposed end of the FP. I am trying to utilize the FP in a few of my Desk Display's to show at some High end craft shows coming up this fall. OTOH I still make the BP for gift shops I have for Clientele and as Thank you's for clients who buy my GFClocks, Game/Poker Tables and high end flatwork. So it can work both ways.

William Young

DW;
Those are some fantastic looking pens you are making there. I got a little drool on my keyboard while I was viewing them [:)]. I had never thought of fountain pens as being a good seller but you have proved that they are at least at your location.
How much more does the hardware cost for those compared to the ballpoint types (within the same quality range). I am awaiting my lathe delivery and havn't even orderd any pen parts or supply parts but will be doing so shortly.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom