New photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac

Added some new post of first El Grande pens. I like the pen but kind of short for my preference and I think if the cap screwed on the end while it is being used would make it feel more balanced.

Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Bobby,
soem great grain in that pen. I found the cap situation true with most of the large pens that fit the cap onto the end. I like the gents pen but never know where to put the cap. you did a great job withthsi one.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pen, Bobby. I really like the El Grande (or the Hut Titan, the same thing...) and my everyday pen is one in cocobolo with the finish long gone. For me, it's the perfect balance of size and weight, and not being able to post the cap doesn't bother me. I kind of enjoy having to set the cap aside. I've been in a number of meetings with the cap on the table in front of me and someone will pick it up and give it the I-want-one eyeball. That doesn't usually happen when the entire pen is in my hand.

melchioe

Bobby, I love the grain in that El Grande - very nice. Jeff, I had to LOL - I had the exact same thing happen in a meeting last week - i set down the cap from my favorite Gent fountain pen (in mesquite from Bill Baumbeck), and the guy next to me snagged it and it wound up being passed around - it generated 6 commissions in one hour!

bmac

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. Jeff, Ed y'all raise a good point. I'll have to remember that the next time I'm using my pen.
Patrick, I just use a HUT friction finish on most of my pens. I like the natural look of most woods and the natural oils from ones hand add their own patina to the wood over time.

Bobby

leenollie

Very nice looking pen, Bobby. I like the depth that Maple shows in its grain pattern. I've never worked with Ambrosia before, though. Just Quilted, Fiddleback, and Bird's Eye. Did the finish you used darken the wood, or was it already that way?

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

bmac

Hello Lee,
The wood was already that dark. I've seen other pieces of ambrosia maple lighter than this. Not sure why this one was so dark.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom