New Pen Turner in Louisiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wholesaleneon

Just got into pen turning about 2 weeks ago. I bought some slimline pen kits on ebay, and made my first few pens.

Im turing all my blanks on a small metal lathe, its working good so far, What do you guys think about it? Is it better to get a wood lathe?

Thanks Guys, and nice to meet you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Welcome from Ohio!
Some turn with a metal, some with a wood, some with both, (some with a drillpress). It's whatever you feel comfortable with and turns things round!

wholesaleneon

also, are there any highly coveted pen blank materials? Ivory, Rhino Horn? ect?

Just wondering, because I do have some ivory i want to turn when i get a little bit better

Rollerbob

Sam ,welcome from your neighbor just to the west of ya. I see your interest is guns and pen turning. Well, your in the right place for both. We got gun totters and we got gun makers and a few us that don't know squat about either one, but they still let us hang out!!:biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Sam. Eat some crawfish for me! Sure miss it. LOML made some real beans and rice a few days ago to remind me of her roots (New Orleans). I went through Slidell a few weeks ago and sure miss the food from the area.

Actually went to a place called "Rocky's" in Arabie/Chalmette. Used to be a GREAT place for some of the finest Po-boys around. Man, you got my stomach growling just thinking about the area!

Back to pen turning:
Several people here use a metal lathe for pen turning and those that do make the rest of us wish we had one. :wink: Those that know how to use the metal lathe do some awesome work.

I am including the link below to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. Hope it helps.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a recent post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Last edited:

Druid

Welcome from VA Sam
Just about anything you want to find and everything you'll want to know about pen making and sorts you can find here. My wife is from Nawlin's and has friends in Slidell, ya'll know how to have a good time down there, great folks, great food, and love the foot stompin zydeco.

PTownSubbie

Welcome Sam! Enjoy your stay.

A metal lathe can be used just like a wood lathe. I would keep my eyes on ebay and craigslist to find a deal. The one you have will work for a good while though.

Rangertrek

Welcome from Louisiana

Welcome to the group, from Shreveport.

Hope you enjoy turning pens (ie spending money) because it is an addiction. I should know. Don't ask.

Use what ever lathe works for you. If you get a wood lathe, I would recommend one with varialble speed control.

Again, welcome.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
also, are there any highly coveted pen blank materials? Ivory, Rhino Horn? ect?

Just wondering, because I do have some ivory i want to turn when i get a little bit better

WELCOME to IAP!!!

Get a lot better and do some research first. Ivory cracks if not treated properly. In fact, it MAY crack if it IS treated properly. And it's expensive.

Highly coveted? Probably not the term, but rare, so don't waste it.

FWIW!!!

wholesaleneon

WELCOME to IAP!!!

Get a lot better and do some research first. Ivory cracks if not treated properly. In fact, it MAY crack if it IS treated properly. And it's expensive.

Highly coveted? Probably not the term, but rare, so don't waste it.

FWIW!!!

I dont plan on turning the ivory any time soon :wink:

I know alot of people with experiance in working ivory, so ill get some help when the time comes.

I just ask about materials that are coveted just because i like to know.

shull

Welcome Sam from sunny Texas. If you feel comfortable with a metal lathe, use it. Don't be afraid to experiment. After seeing what some of the metal lathe folks are turning out I know that one day Harbor Freight will be getting an order from me.

wholesaleneon

index.php

Top Bottom