New old man From Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

Hi I'm Pop Moon and I am trying to get started to turn pens and pepper shakers. I am in the planning and getting list together stag at this time. I have only turned two pens so far on someone else's lathe. I am hoping to get me a lathe and tools by the end of the summer if I can. I do have some questions and also will be reading everything here that I can to learn. I look forward to getting to know some new friends and also in learning the ins and outs of pen turning. I am 60yrs. young and do a bunch of wood work now but want to increase my ablilities more. I will take all kinds of advice and not be affended or mad. I like to fish when I can, spend time with my 6 great-grandkids when I am able, and the smell of wood. Thanks for allowing me into your group.

jptruett

HI POP!!
My six grandkids call me Pop also!! I live in Canton which is not too far from you. I too am a new turner. I have joined the East Texas Woodturnes Association that meets every second Saturday at the TJC Campus in Tyler. www.easttexaswoodturners.org
I have only met with them twice, but they seem like a great bunch of guys willing to help newby's like me. They have a mentors program and I am working with Tom Crosby and he is a really great guy, patient and willing to let me learn. You would do well to check them out and maybe take advantage of their mentor program.

I have met another gentleman via this forum that will be moving back to Athens this fall. His name is Bob Swartzendruber, aka txbob. I plan to meet with him some when he gets back. He has turned many pens and seems to be a neat fellow that is also willing to help me get started. I'm sure he would help you also.

anyway, welcome to the forum and I look forward to meeting you some day.

Jerry Truett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom