new old guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

Just stumbled in to you folks while looking for pen info.
Long time woodworker who just got interested in pen work.
Picture here is some of recent non pen pieces. Table is for my wife and the segmented bowls are something i got into last year.
Going to try to make some pens on a big lathe using small tools :p
Hope to contribute some and learn a bunch.
calabrese55

Attachments

• table bowls.jpg
    table bowls.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 95
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. I see you know your way around tools. Love seeing this type work. Your segmented bowls are great. I like that type of artistry and yours are no exception. Hope you have fun in your new hobby of pen making and take some of that skill and apply to pen blanks. I am sure you will do great in the segmenting world of pen blanks.

its_virgil

Welcome from Texas. Those bowls, as well as the table, look really great. Segmenting takes a bit more patience than I tend to have so I admire any who takes the time to segment. I have done some with pen blanks but not larger turnings.

I too make pens on my large powermatic lathe but I use my standard turning tools. No small or micro tools used. My 1 1/2" skew is my favorite.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

calabrese55

Thanks all for the kind words and the welcome.
Looking forward to building some pens, my wife already has her order in ;).
There is a mountain of talent throughout here and a bunch of really nice work, this could be some real fun and I really dig learning new stuff.
Thanks again for looking in

calabrese55

calabrese55

Hey Canandaigua we make saw dust in Seneca Falls thanks for looking in
Hamilton, Ohio great state spent some time working for a great company based in Berea thanks for looking in
Texas everything is big in Texas so are your pens as big as the giant wooden pencils ?
Colorado Rocky mountain high another great state spent some time driving up to Boulder no guard rails going up the mountains and lots or red stones make for fuzzy windshields & white knuckle driving Thank you for looking in
calabrese55

calabrese55

Hi Tennessee Thanks for looking in. Yes the Finger Lakes Region has become known as the Napa Valley of the east.
While it is still New York State it is a great place to be . The wine trade has exploded over recent years the 5 major finger lakes moderate the year climate such that it is excellent for growing the fruit of the vine. https://newyorkwines.org/wineries/finger-lakes-wineries/
Thanks again for looking in
calabrese55
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2ahUKEwjzgK-ihKf-AhWlMDQIHQu9Dg0QjcEJegQIFhAD

calabrese55

Beautiful bowls and a lovely looking table as well. Welcome to the site from west of the rockies.
Hi West of the Rockies thank you for your comments all the way from the windward side of the great rocks.
So many ways to turn trees into neat things big and small and this pen making thing I kind of just discovered is a whole new way to practice penmanship.
Thanks again
calabrese55

calabrese55

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. - Dave
Hey Nebraska thanks for checking in
The great Cornhusker State ......farmers worked very hard by hand to husk corn . Mechanization is a great thing I guess it would be pretty hard to turn a pen on one of these
Thank you for looking in
calabrese55
1681402921916.png

egnald

Hey Nebraska thanks for checking in
The great Cornhusker State ......farmers worked very hard by hand to husk corn . Mechanization is a great thing I guess it would be pretty hard to turn a pen on one of these
Thank you for looking in
calabrese55
I always enjoyed being in New York, but I haven't been back there for over 5 years now. Prior to 2018 I used to make 4 or more trips to Niagara Falls every year to visit one of my engineering teams. I never made it as far East as the Finger Lakes although I did have a flight diverted to Syracuse once. I retired during COVID so I'm afraid most of my traveling is over without having a company to foot the bill. I'm anxious to see more of your work. - Dave

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Medina, OH (about 20 minutes south of Berea). I have very close friends in Dansville (40 years now) - actually going on a SCUBA trip with them next week. We spend time together on Lake Canandaigua.

Have fun on IAP!

calabrese55

I always enjoyed being in New York, but I haven't been back there for over 5 years now. Prior to 2018 I used to make 4 or more trips to Niagara Falls every year to visit one of my engineering teams. I never made it as far East as the Finger Lakes although I did have a flight diverted to Syracuse once. I retired during COVID so I'm afraid most of my traveling is over without having a company to foot the bill. I'm anxious to see more of your work. - Dave
Hey Dave in Nebraska New York is a nice state lots of beautiful places the politics though not so hot. If you got diverted to SYR from Niagara you most likely flew right over Cayuga and Seneca Lake at about 4000 feet the very heart of the Finger Lakes. My traveling days are over also kind of miss them but then again not the away time.
Thank you for your comments . i will try to build something near future . I am sending a pen kit order out soon, already spent some dust on blanks . I recently built a fractal burner rig and want to try it out on some hard maple and epoxy composite builds.
Thanks again for your time and looking in.
mike calabrese55

calabrese55

Welcome to IAP from Medina, OH (about 20 minutes south of Berea). I have very close friends in Dansville (40 years now) - actually going on a SCUBA trip with them next week. We spend time together on Lake Canandaigua.

Have fun on IAP!
Hey another Buckeye. 20 minutes from Berea ...not in rush hour been bumper to bumper in Berea a few times
Canandaigua lake is a great lake and Canandaigua is an interesting little city lots of diversity and culture there.
Dansville is a neat quaint town about 1/2 the size of my home town Seneca Falls each quite small.
I don't know much about SCUBA diving except it is like flying under water and way cool !
I worked for the Estabrook Corp in Berea as a sales engineer . Great company great people but a new overcontrolling micro managing sales manager was more than I was willing to put up with. After a couple years under the new normal I had to leave the best job I ever had ☹️
Woodworking is the best and NO BOSSES!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for looking in.
calabrese55

calabrese55

Welcome from Northern Illinois! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. What you have showed so far is excellent!
Hi Lincoln Land thanks for looking in and your kind words.
I spent the last 17 years printing tee shirts and doing some embroidery but the cries from my idle wood tools just grew too loud to ignore.
Got back to wood working about 18 months ago and still trying to find my groove.
As for my work, It always looks great FROM A DISTANCE ;)
Thanks for your note
calabrese55

Top Bottom