New member!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

willow

Hello everyone!!

I am a new member to this site. My name is Denise. I have been turning for about 10 months now. I started with bowls and now I am turning anything I can get my hands on since I fell in love with this beautiful addiction!!!:biggrin::biggrin::)

I need help, lately when I am turing pens, I get a chattering on the blank, which is both visible and audible. And some of them are coming out slightly oval. What is causing this? I usually turn wood or acrylic blanks with a spindle gouge until I get full round, then continue with a skew. Am I applying to much pressure? I thought for sure it was the mandrel, so I changed out the mandrel rod, but it still continues. Is my tail stock not aligned properly with my headstock? What causes this?:eek::eek::frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerryS

Hi Denise ,welcome to the site , sorry I can't help you with the problem your having . I'm a newbi to turning but I would like to hear the reason behind your troubles .

Regards
Jerry

great12b4ever

Welcome to the addiction!!! :handshake:

It could be that you are putting too much pressure on the mandrel with your tailstock. Just tighten the tail stock enough to have the live center turning freely!! Any more and you will cause the mandrel to bow slightly creating a whip effect on the blanks producing possible chatter and out of roundness on the blanks. This can also be caused by tightening the knurled brass end nut on the mandrel also. Try to tighten it just enough to keep the blank from turning on the mandrel while working it. If your gouge or skew makes the blank stop spinning, tighten the nut just a little more, usualyy just 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.
Hope this works for you.

Top Bottom