New member in Michigan...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwjohnson

Hello all.

I'm Wayne, a married, 54 year old working stiff who likes canoeing, hiking and playing with wood in my spare time. Used to deal mainly with rustic stuff like bent willow chairs, etc. and then got interested in walking sticks and canes similar to the English styled ones with brass collars and ferrules, utilizing antler and exotic woods to accent the tops / handles. Everything was done by hand and I spent many hours hand-sanding joints to match up the contours between wood and antler. They looked good but I always thought that if I had a lathe I could save so much time and the joinery would be that much cleaner.

About a year and a half ago, I finally purchased a Jet midi lathe and taught myself to turn spindles, Xmas ornaments and small bowls. Then, I discovered the world of pens and now...I'm hooked. I've made about 40 different pens utilizing local and exotic woods and have now also begun using acrylics. I was approached by a local woman who organizes the local farmers market / craft show who found out I make pens and walking sticks and wants me to open a booth at her market. I've been considering it and have been adding to my inventory of pens and sticks so I'll have enough inventory to make it worthwhile. A little nervous about selling my stuff...I usually just give it away to friends, but it would be nice to be able to generate some revenue to support my wood habits. Will be several weeks yet before the market begins so I'll just keep on making stuff until the time comes.

Will try to get some digital photos of my work to post soon and I have to say, there are some very talented folks out there based on the pics I've seen here. This is turning into a novel, so I'll sign off now but just wanted to introduce myself and say I'm glad to be a member and look forward to meeting many of you in the days ahead.

Wayne Johnson.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BamaYank

Former Michigander

Hey Wayne,
First of all welcome to IAP! I retired from Det Edison in 2001 moved to FL, then and now my wife and I are living in a little town called Bridgeport, AL. I am sure you will enjoy this site and may I suggest you check out the "Local Chapters" box at the top of the IAP page in dark blue, to see if there is a local chapter close to you. If so go to one of their meeting and if its anything like ours (TN - N. Alabama Chapter) you will have a great time. You should be able to share your skill and learn new ones I am sure!
Good Luck and once again Welcome!
The "BamaYank"

dwjohnson

Hi Gary. Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Southwest Michigan...Mattawan mailing address, which is midway between Kalamazoo and Paw Paw.

Wayne

RichB

Welcome Wayne from another one in Michigan. You can't help but enjoy all of the great friends you will meet here. All the information and help you can get here can't be found in books. Have a lot of fun. RichB

pinelumber

Welcome

We have a great group in the Michigan group. We usually meet somewhere in Metro Detroit. We do have members that drive from The Canton Ohio Area. We meet about every 3 months. You are welcome to join us. The next meeting should be in MAY or June? No date set yet. Welcome Again.

Dennis
Pine Lumber:RockOn::bananen_smilies104:

ctubbs

Welcome Wayne, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Buzzzz4

Hi Wayne,
I am just north of you in Grand Rapids. Welcome to the addiction. As you start selling it only gets worse. Be careful.

dwjohnson

Thanks to everyone who's checked in and welcomed me over the past couple days. It's nice to know there are a lot of kindred spirits out there. Thanks again, and I'll be keeping in touch.

Wayne Johnson.

Top Bottom