New member here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jonrms

Hi everyone.. I am Jon.. From Connecticut (born in buffalo NY) however thanks to Uncle Sam and the USN:usflag: I found my wife and decided to stay. I lived in scotland for a few years (my wife is scottish) and decided to make the jump to move down a bit to England.. middle!!! in Yorkshire.. so I am pleased.

I have 2 kids youngest being only 3 months.. and eldest being 3 years... Anyway I have just started wood working again after many many years... and I was hopeing to develope contacts, support and tips and advice.

I know alot of information but I rather be honest... I have read alot of reports whilst waiting for my account to be activated and noticed that alot of suppliers dont want to or wont ship to the UK.. arrrgh.. that means paying extra postage having it shipped to my sister/or family then to me.. :mad: Anyway I am hopeing to give this pen thing a go... I have already started... and I will show you my piece soon.. as I worked alot of hours on it... and its not just the pen... :rolleyes:

So be kind and I hope to be able to learn alot from you all in due course!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Welcome from Connecticut! I was born and raised in the Town of Tonawanda (Buffalo area for you other folks) and moved to CT in 98. I'm staying here though, Great Britain is too far for my old bones. :biggrin:

I know there are a lot of other members from your area on here, so I know they will pitch in and give you the info you want.

Again, WELCOME to the IAP.

Padre

Absolutely! My two oldest children were born in Kenmore Mercy. As a lad I spent more than a few hours visiting the ER there!:biggrin:

jonrms

I still remember skytop bowling lanes.... and the only thing I regret about moving to England is well umm two things.. Taco bell and Duncan donuts!!!! well I miss the flavoured coffee...

Anyway back on track.. thank you for the warm and quick welcome..

now on my scout looking for exotic woods, blanks and some interesting clips .. basically things you cant get over here for some reason!!!

keithkarl2007

Welcome to the madness. Say goodbye to whatever savings you have because you'll soon find this a very addictive hobby :biggrin::biggrin:. Its not all bad though, just steer clear of the classifieds and you'll be ok :biggrin::biggrin:. Here is a link for a forum a little closer to home that may also carry some of the well known materials and kits we use.UKAP

ctubbs

Welcome Jon from West Kentucky. Our wood is not rare or exotic but you are welcome to some of it on request.
Charles

Rfturner

welcome from california, wlecome to the newest expensive hole in yor pocket hobby. you can find alot of great info on this site. good luck

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from southern California. Here are a few links I thought might be of help to you on the IAP forum as well as pen turning.

This link is - a PDF document on the acronyms used here on the IAP site. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

The 2nd link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Another great info article on "how to" upload your photos to your own IAP album - by Jeff:
Uploading Photos – Your album
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35783

garvan

Welcome from the State of Washington Jon. I just got back to turning after a coulpe of years off. IAP has a wealth of information and a lot of willing members to help. Be sure to read C. Sue's links.

Enjoy the time.

jonrms

Thank you all again.. I have just made my first purchace this morning here from a member on here.. hopefully cant wait for more.. I really do appreciate the warm welcome and reception I have recieved.. its like being home all over again!!!! thanks guys and gals.

jonrms

btw.. I have just spoke to one supplier here who will be offering big discounts via me to anyone here... I will update you all soon with details. so if anyone wants something Alan has than let me know... and I will be the one doing his admin work.. and hopefully making everyone happy.... not to mention me as I am buying from you.. horrah.. great deal this..

mainiac

Welcome Jon and thank you for your service, from the wilds of Central Ohio. Hang on to your credit card, because it's going to take a hit.

Dick

jonrms

Thanks guys again...

but my Credit Card has already taken a few hits... her are some of my hobbies as you can see.... they dont come cheap.

Scuba diving

My hardtail chopper.. nearly finished with one of my sons on it..
dscf6165o.jpg

By null at 2010-09-25

cars and bike ha???

hunting

anyway there are loads of my life and silly photos i can show you.. but the last one is this..

one happy dad!

so thanks for the heads up.. I cant wait to try to make a better bond and a contact between England and America... for the wood turners of the world.. ok well two countries. but most of all... get stuff that they cant here!!! LOL i am soo selfish!!! :)

PR_Princess

Welcome to the wonderful world of pen turning madness Jonathon!!! :biggrin::wink:

What handsome lads you have!!! LOL I think the young fellow on the bike knows it too. Looks like trouble's on the way!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::tongue:

BTW, are you close to Bingley? One of my all time favourite sports heroes is a Yorkshire fellow. I think that he still lives there...

Top Bottom