New member from Michigan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Myk Rian

Hello all.
Registered last week and have spent some time browsing the site.
I retired from an auto company as a 35 year skilled tradesman in 2004, and started to build my WWing shop. I have been restoring old machines to replace the newer ones I bought before them.
One of those is a Delta 46-230 11" lathe.

The last couple months I have taken up turning pens. Went to a WWing show in Taylor, Mi. in Dec. and bought a couple slimline kits, mandrel, lathe accessory to press the pens together, and a couple other items. I have since purchased more kits from a couple online sources.

I have turned several pens now, and plan to display them in our senior center gift shop for sale. My Wife took a couple for herself, and I keep one with me.
I made this case to display the pens in the gift shop.

Attachments

• Img_0062e.jpg
    Img_0062e.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 0314011112.jpg
    0314011112.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Atherton Pens

Welcome from farther south, ya'll. Looks like you are off to a fine start with your pen making. Visit the forum often and you'll be amazed at some to the craftsmanship displayed by the member here! If you have questions, ask, you will always get several answers and opinions. Also, check out the library for interesting and informative articles.

Welcome again, enjoy IAP!

ctubbs

Welcome Myk, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.

I couldn't help but notice that you have an HF dust collector or its twin in your shop. There have been several discussions here about improvements on this device. We have a tutorial in the library about this and if you are interested the link is:
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2011/HF Dust Collector Mods.pdf
Your pens are fine looking. Your fit and finish is spot on and the shape you are using is way ahead of the old bushing to bushing shape I started out with. Congratulations on a very good set of pens.
Charles

BamaYank

Welcome !

Hey MyK Rian,
I am new to IAP myself. I use to live in MI downriver area, retired the Det. Edison moved to Fl now live in AL. Enjoy the site and make sure you look into the library section for some helpful video's and info.

BamaYank (aka Doug)

Last edited:

Myk Rian

Thank you for the welcomes. A friendly place.

I'll go through some of the responses.

We live south of M-59 a couple miles, off Old-23. Been here 34 years now. No plans to move.

Lots of Michiganders here. Great.

The shop isn't too clean right now. I picked up a 1934-36 Delta drill press the other day. It's in pieces behind the lathe while I restore it. I believe I'll set it up for drilling pen blanks. That will leave the DP220 for other work.

0312011555s.jpg

The library does have a lot of great info. I've thumbed through much of it already.

I have a piece of Rosewood from Florida. The tree blew down in a storm and my Uncle cut it up into pieces. He used some of it to make golf putters. That was his hobby. When he passed, my Aunt sent me several pieces that were left. I made a domino storage box for her, and have some left for lathe work. Haven't decided just what to turn it into yet. I already made a few pens with it, but I still have a 4"x4"x15" piece, plus a few sapwood pieces left.

Besides the pen turning I have found I like, another vortex, or slippery slope I stumbled on is the OWWM.org site, as evidenced by the previous picture. Can't have too many slopes, eh?

I retired from the Ford Rouge plant, and have been downriver many, many times. Too much traffic compared to Livingston county, and I don't miss it.:)

Got a Daughter and 2 grand sons in Littleton. We'll be visiting them in June, I believe. Beautiful mountains, but it's awful dry out there.

Never been to Texas, but many years ago I applied for, and received honorary citizenship to your great state. Something your then Governor was promoting at the time.

So, until next, thanks again. Cheers.

Muggsy1776

Welcome to the bad addiction club! We just had a meeting on Sunday in Warren- watch the Michigan club section for info on our next gathering. Probably not until may or June.

pinelumber

hello newbie!!

Well you just missed it. This past Sunday we had our Michigan chapter IAP pen meeting you are welcome to come next time. We have people from all over coming to visit with us. Dennis C made the pen that you see on the IAP website home page. We have at least Bob & Bob drive in from the far reaches of Ohio. Eric came from North Carolina. We have a meeting about every 3 months come on down join the fun.

Dennis
Pine Lumber

shadrach1944

Welcome MyK! from Morehead, KY. Lots of Fine craftsmen here and always willing to help in any way. Your Pens look Great! Be sure to keep your first pen, you won't believe you improvements later on and always take pictures of each and every pen you create, we would love to see them.

deweed

Good morning Edward. Another resource for education is the Michigan Assoc. of Woodturners. They meet the first Sunday of each month just southeast of Holly. Check out their website.
Duane

Top Bottom